Author Topic: possible bag  (Read 3980 times)

Lutes

possible bag
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:59:38 AM »
Could someone tell me the proper procedure to bees wax a canvas possible bag?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:19:39 AM by Lutes »

Trkdriver99

Re: possible bag
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
I would melt wax in a double broiler and paint it on. Then take heat gun or hair dryer and drive/melt the wax into material. You can warm the bag some before you start. Be careful when heating the wax. It will be stiff when you finish, but will soften up as you bend or wiggle or use the bag.

Ronnie

Macon Due

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
I used exactly 'Retired's' method except...if you have an old coffee maker [Mr.coffee ect.] use it as a hot plate to melt your wax.Just set a pan on it and in about 30 min. ready to go. On another site it was suggested to mix Linseed Oil in with the wax as well....... I just used straight Bees Wax however.
Macon

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »
Back when that effect was all the rage I used to brush the melted wax on with an old natural bristle shoe brush and the after it set up I would sink it in with a hair dryer. Worked very well and you had the wax impregnated in the weave and not on top of the fabric.

eagle24

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
I used the same method on one that I made with a few exceptions.  I used a charcoal grill to melt the wax in a stainless bowl and did it outside.  Also used the grill to heat an old cast iron iron and ironed the wax into the bag after it was brushed on with a natural bristle brush.  I think a heat gun or hair dryer might work better and will try it next go around although the iron worked fine.

Lutes

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:21:49 AM »
Thanks everyone I will give it a try.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:10:41 AM »
Duane Heim from Edgerton, Wisconsin makes really wonderful bags using this method.

Offline James

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
I can't comment on the actual bag part, but another good and safe way to melt the beeswax is with a cheep yard-sale electric fry pan, the deeper the better. The temperature control works well for melting beeswax, a little higher till it's melted then turned down to keep it liquid while you work. I keep bees and rear my own queens and use one frequently to melt wax to make queen cups.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »
Lutes,

I wrote this some time ago, it may be of some help to you.

Traditional Methods of Waterproofing Fabric

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!