Author Topic: Blowing Horn  (Read 5499 times)

Offline bigsmoke

Blowing Horn
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »
Have been thinking about making a blowing horn with an applied mouthpiece instead of using an integral carved mouthpiece.  I kind of like how it came out.

To me, it sounds better also.  It has a much bolder and fuller sound.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Blowing Horn
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
Does the length of the horn or the size of the hole in the mouth piece make the deeper sound?

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
Does the length of the horn or the size of the hole in the mouth piece make the deeper sound?

I think a shorter horn will make a somewhat higher sound.  But I believe that the somewhat wider mouthpiece accounts more for it.  Think about brass instruments.  A French horn has a tiny little mouthpiece and a tuba has a humongous one.  Accordingly, it has a deeper sound.  It also has a lot more and bigger tubing.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:09:28 PM »
 Good looking horn, I like the way it came out too. How is the mouth piece fit, inside the horn? Is it pinned?
Really good to see you here and posting.

Tim C.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »
Very nice job, looks great. Also has good engraving area. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
We need a horn player here. IIRC, the French horn has about the widest range of the brass family. And tubas? They are not just Sousaphones in parades. My dad was a tuba player, and the range he got out of his old German upright would astound. I'm curious about this, since I've got a "blowing" horn happening in the shop now.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
Tim,
I cut a tenon on the horn and fit the mouthpiece over it.  I got just a bit too ambitious and filed the tenon one stroke too many all the way around, so it came out just a little bit loose.  Some epoxy slury took up the space.  I did not pin it. 
thanks, good to be here.

Kermit,
Tuba, Sousaphone - sound wise pretty much one and the same, to my ear anyway.  If you ever get a chance to hear a Dixieland group called the Missouri RiverBoat Men play, the Sousaphone player is a guy named Red.  No body ever told him he was not playing a trumpet.  it's a thing of wonder to hear him play Flight of the Bumblebee on it.  Pure amazing.

John

ravenfeeder

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
Really great job!

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »
John, thats a fine looking horn. any chance of seeing a close up of the mouth piece to see how it is turned/tapered?
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
Griz,
Sorry to say (well not really) that the horn is currently in Tennessee.  Makes it pretty tough to take more photos.  The two are the only ones I took.
Thanks all for the nice comments.
John

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
Welcome Bigsmoke!  Really good to see you here!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"