Author Topic: Horn #4 Offset panels first attempt at Scrim and Stain/NEW PICS ADDED  (Read 5562 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Critiques welcome,

Dyed the top three times,  Kept coming out purple.  Finally got a brown tint to it.  Main body is Rit Yello & Brown  with Kiwi Brown Shoe polish as a finish coat.  The Buttcap is Elm stained with Homemade Asphultum. Then Hot Beeswax and buffed with a wad of brown bag.  I think I'll leave the Scrim to the professionals,  Looks like my five year old did it.

Hope you like it.

Rich
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:49:20 PM by Chapple JR »

greybeard

Re: Horn #4 Offset panels first attempt at Scrim and Stain
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »
I tell you what Rich .   I would be proud to have a horn like that. I  love  the way that  it looks to have a bit of age to it. Cheers    Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »
Rich, I think it is overall, a fine looking horn.  I wouldn't worry about the "quality" of the scrimming...originals were pretty rough for the most part, and the designs extremely primitive.

I would have used a little less wood in the butt plug, and something with a finer grain.  Elm and oak, and even hickory, have lots of soft wood that is tough to make look well finished.

I like the lace, but it makes a photo session difficult.  The camera focuses on the white lace and underexposes the horn.  But I still like the lace, and you should be proud of that horn.  The carving is very neat.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
Thank you Bob and Taylor,

Taylor I took photography  28yrs ago,  won the photography award for my pinhole camera and lighting.  Sad thing is, I still remember how to make a pinhole camera, but don't remember a thing about lighting.  Please I want your suggestions.

Rich

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
Rich,

Great horn! Color is really nice and it does look like its got some years of use on it. The spout end's rings and panels are nice and proportional, and I think the scrim looks authentic, (and gives me some hope...).

One thing you might consider is to get the subject up and away from the background, that makes for a better picture.

Thanks for putting it up for us to see!!

Best regards,
Albert “El Matamoro” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Cold Weather Camping Tips!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
Rich, nice job.  Love all of it, but agree with Taylor that the butt plug takes away from the rest of the horn.  Like the color and the aged look you got out of the scrim and remainder.  Thanks for sharing.  Was this one of the horns you got from me?

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
    I think it looks great. Keep up the good work.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:43:52 AM »
Rich, it appears that you are using a flash to take the pictures.  If you can avoid the flash, you'll get more natural colours.  I do a lot of close up photos on the centre table in my shop, under a lot of florescent lighting, without a flash.  The background has to be something that absorbs the light, rather than reflects it.  Your lace tablecloth might be fine, since it has a great broken texture, much like the mountain goat hide I use.  But the flash has to go.  With today's digital cameras, you shouldn't need it.
Bill Shipman did a great explanation on picture taking...he uses outside lighting on a dull day, so shadows are soft, and natural colour is not overpowered by too much light.  Give that a try.  If you don't like the pics, delete them.  If you do, congratulations!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »
  Okay,

I tried something different with the pics, I need to get a yard of Crushed Velvet.  For Now A Chemical Apron Will Sufice.  Also the inspiration for the plug.  ( I really dislike Staples)

Rich

Offline A.Merrill

Re: Horn #4 Offset panels first attempt at Scrim and Stain/NEW PICS ADDED
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:58:01 AM »
    These pic are mush better and the horn looks even better than I thought. Great job JR, I think you have found your calling.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
Great looking horn, the updated pics show how nice it really is. The scrim looks authentic. You should be proud.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Horner75

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 02:42:32 AM »
Your horn looks pretty good for it just being your 4th! ... Like the color and engraving!

Rick

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
Yup, if that's only your 4th horn I'd say you have indeed found your calling.  Very nice, and the second set of pictures is MUCH better.  Whatever you did stay with that method.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"