Author Topic: .30 caliber loads  (Read 3845 times)

Offline wvmtnman

.30 caliber loads
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:10:53 AM »
I just received a 44 inch  .30 caliber barrel that is inletted in a piece of walnut.  I plan on making me a squirrel rifle for next season.  Though I will not start this project until late spring, I was wondering what diameter ball works best and where to get a mold from. 
                                                 Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Eric Laird

Re: .30 caliber loads
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »
Brian,
The Possibles Shop carries Lee molds in .285, which is the only sub-.30 "production" mold I know of.
http://www.possibleshop.com/roundball-mold.htm

NEI shows a .300 RB mold - http://www.neihandtools.com/catpages/cat_pg2.htm

It all depends on whether you lean toward the smaller ball/thicker patch or larger ball/thinner patch concepts. Of course, you could order a mold from Jeff Tanner in any size you wish.

I don't have any experience with a .30 so can't make any loading recommendations, but I hope this helps.
Eric
Eric Laird

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
Brian, I shoot two .32's, they are old Douglas barrels with a 1/66 twist. they are very accuratye with light (20 grns) and stout (40 grns ) loads. I shoot a .310 ball with an . 18 patch. You didn't state the twist or groove depth and that will determine your patch/ball/powder combo, WITH A LOT OF EXPERIMENTING. A light 20 grn. charge is all you need to drop a squirrel, IF you can hit the mark! Ed
Ed Hamberg

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »
Ideally, a .290" or .295" mould would be best for use with a .018" patch or perhaps a .020" patch.  Lots of guys are finding out or were originally using a full, bore diameter ball, ie: .300" in your case.  Seems to me, this mould is available from Lee.  Even a .308" mould would work. You merely have to have a nice radius on the muzzle's crown.  In the thread "What makes a Good Hunting Rifle"  - check out the crown on the huge 2 bore's muzzle.  Notice the crown starts wider than the depth of the grooves, then angles out to the tops of the lands ie: bore size.  Polishing this cut angle ensures a tight fitting ball and patch swages into the bore for a tight, gas sealing fit and shoots accurately.  You can finish with your thumb, and make the initial cut in your barrel with an electric drill and a case-mouth chamfering tool - RCBS is the one I've used for 35 years.  It has a stud on the outside taper reaming end that can be held in an electric drill's chuck.  With the barrel in a bench vise, line up the drill straight, have a friend help with this, and give it a quick spin in the muzzle. Pull it out, check it and make it deeper is need be.  Polishing can be down with 220 or 320 grit Emery cloth between your thumb and the muzzle. Point your thumb well into the muzzle and twist back and forth, etc, for 15 seconds, then turn the barrel 90 degrees, 90 degrees, etc. until the muzzle's crown is nice and shiny and smooth.

ironsights1

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
Brian...In my Bill Large barrelled .30 caliber caplock, I'm shooting a .285 roundball with at .025 pillow ticking patch with either homemade deer tallow/olive oil/beeswax or Lehigh Valley lube and 20 gr. of Goex 3F.  At 25 yards off a sandbag, it shoots a cloverleaf group. This load has accounted for several squirrels. Tom