Author Topic: Rifle at Bolk  (Read 6475 times)

keweenaw

Rifle at Bolk
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
BolkAntiques in the Netherlands has a rather odd American flintlock half stocked rifle that seems grossly overpriced.  Any thoughts?
http://www.bolk-antiques.nl/showimagebig.cfm?cat=1209&subcat=2185&aid=542562&the_start=2

Tom

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Rifle at Bolk
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
That's one confusing gun to me.  The walnut checkered halfstock looks late, yet the gun is flint and the
barrel/tang markings remind me of europe.  Krider comes to mind.  Target sights a later addition?
Anxious to hear what the long time collectors think.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »
I would have thought it was a New England rifle, though it doesn't fit the accepted mould perfectly.  It does look to be in superb condition.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »
I see a bit of New York influence in this rifle. The lack of engraving on the brass work for one reason. Could be something made a bit closer to the east coast as well. 4.250 euro's is a lot of loot if I'm converting it to $$$ American properly?? Is that a decimal point that is meant to be a comma??,,
Joel Hall

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
My only thought is that I will sell ( when I sell) my collection in England.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
I bet the  actual makers name is under the rear sight.
Appears to have a 9 or 10 groove barrel.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I would be very,very suspicious that this isn't an original. The "distress" marks just look too uniform to me. Am I off base with these thoughts?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
Obviously the lock maker is Anderson, and the builder could be someone else.  The stock seems to be european walnut, and the checkering seems more modern.  It appears to be of American style, but my guess is Scandinavian, and 1870's or later.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

dannybb55

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:13:26 AM »
This one is much more intriguing to me
http://www.bolk-antiques.nl/showimagebig.cfm?cat=1209&subcat=2185&the_start=30
 Nice triggers, French lockplate, sliding wooden patch box, refined stock, great sights.
 The Dutch matchlock rifle several clicks from the shotgun. Sorry about the link. Number 28
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:07:29 AM by dannybb55 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
they have wonderful pictures but it drives me batty that they call every long gun a "rifle"
Andover, Vermont

dannybb55

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »
True, but no 28 is definitely a rifle, but is it a really early Jaeger or is it a modernized matchlock?

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Obviously the lock maker is Anderson, and the builder could be someone else.  The stock seems to be european walnut, and the checkering seems more modern.  It appears to be of American style, but my guess is Scandinavian, and 1870's or later.

Bill

I think there is a possibility that the lock is a replacement. It looks like the Anderson lock is a bit longer (especially toward the front) and not quite at tall as the original.
Gary
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:17:57 PM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »
This one is much more intriguing to me
http://www.bolk-antiques.nl/showimagebig.cfm?cat=1209&subcat=2185&the_start=30
 Nice triggers, French lockplate, sliding wooden patch box, refined stock, great sights.
 The Dutch matchlock rifle several clicks from the shotgun. Sorry about the link. Number 28

Looks like a ca. 1700 or so gun, made up from an old barrel.  Lovin' that diopter/peep! North German.  Maybe Dutch, but probably not.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
Regarding the original question... the checkering, the two-key fore end, the rear sight and the general lines of the rifle are all consistent with New England rifles I own or have owned. The socket for the peep sight isn't, although that could have been added later. The patch box and trigger guard are not the conventional NE style but I doubt that is really significant... when you see them they do indicate NE but the opposite isn't necessarily true... Still, I suspect its a NY rifle of about 1830... late for a f/l but extremely well made. It may even have been English made for a NY dealer.