Author Topic: 18th C. Bag and Horn Set  (Read 3991 times)

Indiana

18th C. Bag and Horn Set
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:39 AM »
Hi everyone.  I'm a long time reader here, but have posted very little until now--mostly because I have not been satisfied enough with my work to share it!  That being said, I've finally decided to share a picture of my most recent horn and bag set.  Since I'm new, I should probably share a little about myself.  I'm a senior history and anthropology student at Butler University in Indianapolis and have been building guns, horns, and doing leatherwork since I was 15 or 16.  The last three years I've taken different classes at Conner  Prairie (I'll be there again this fall--will I see any of you there?) and there have had great help from the likes of Hershel House and others with blacksmithing (rifle furniture, knives, etc) and other aspects of creating the art we all enjoy.  Recently I have become very interested in fraktur drawing and have been creating small cards and drawings for people I know.

I've finally come up with a horn and bag set I'm happy enough with to share some pictures of!  The bag measures 6"x6.5" and is fully welted and features a gusset at the bottom.  It's just the right size for a few balls, a priming horn, patches, and a spare flint.  The strap adjustment is with a button on the strap which also provides a convenient place to hang the vent pick and powder measure from a braided hemp cord.  Only after I made this bag (though I made the bag earlier this year) did I see the article Wallace Gusler published in the December 2009 Muzzle Blasts featuring a ~1770-80's pouch that used a button adjustment on the back of the pouch.  Based on that evidence, I think this pouch would fit nicely in that same time period.  The horn is scrimshawed throughout and features a stepped neck with a round and octagon section.  The plug of the horn has been shaped to fit the natural shape of the horn and is of old growth black walnut.  The date 1756 has been carved into the plug and the staple is hand forged from a ca. ~1818 wrought iron nail I removed from a house of the same vintage I am restoring in my hometown in Southern Indiana.  A border of silver wire has been inlaid into the plug.  The horn strap adjusts in the same manner as the bag, nicely complementing its partner.  The priming horn is octagon paneled to match the octagonal section on the horn neck, as well as the octagonal shape of the rifle barrel this set serves.  The measure is dear antler and holds ~45 grains.  The vent pick is the only thing I did not make and it came from wwpete52 on the TMA forum.  I'm away at school and haven't been able to forge my own pick yet, though I intend to do so in the next few weeks from another ca. 1818 wrought iron nail.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!

-Patrick

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:44:53 AM by Indiana »

Offline Habu

Re: 18th C. Bag and Horn Set
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »
Looks good.  :)

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
Hey Indy, nice to se you over here. This is a great board.
Thats one fine looking set. Good work.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
Very nice outfit. It is great that you are getting to start so young. If you have the passion it sounds like you have, find a way to work full-time  or at least very steadily at the gun and accouterments, You don't want to miss the opportunity to have fun, learn and become a master at the art as well as a real experienced expert. We need young talent and passion to advance the culture of the American Longrifle and early American history.

The best to you. Keep showing us your stuff!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
Hi Patrick,  You are a welcome addition to the forum.  It's great to see that the
art will live on in the coming generations.  I've been collecting rifles and accoutrements for awhile now, but have not found a bag that I like.  The bag
you made really looks "right" to me.  Congratulations on a fine job and keep
up the work.  Looking forward to seeing one of your rifles some day.  What sparked your interest in this field?  Mine was when I found that my ancestors
were a large family of rifle builders.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Martyman

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
Patrick

Nice looking rig! I like the detail on the flap point. Is that a coin?

Marty

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
Patrick; Very well done. A complete set of stuff for long time continued use with your favorite long rifle. Continue with the great work and thanks for sharing your work with us. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline ohidan

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
Very nice , must have quite the talent.
ohidan

Offline draken

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »
Very nice  outfit, Patrick.   Sounds like you're developing a good foundation for an all-around craftsman
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
 Good looing set, nice work, keep 'em comin.

Tim C.