Author Topic: Primitive Pouch??  (Read 4559 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Primitive Pouch??
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »
Well, primitive for me. This is made from bark tanned elk and is certainly an ample size. About 10" deep and 7" wide and has a 1 1/4" strap of veg tanned cowhide. This also comes with an aged brass buckle for adjustability. An inside pocket of about 2 3/4 by 3 3/4 completes the pouch. The hide had to be hand skived to get an even thickness all around and double row stitched the flap to the bag to alleviate any fears of it ever coming apart. By all means give me your critiques or suggestions for my next attempt at 'primitive'.

Gary

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Primitive Pouch??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
Gary - that is a great looking pouch - actually probably my favorite one of yours that I have seen.  The flap design gives it some extra interest.

Like you pointed out, primitive is sort of subjective. I like the looks of this bag - it is simple but has good design - definitely not crude by any means.  Just my personal preference  but I have never found completely unshaped, ragged, irregular flaps appealing.    I am not sure where they fall within the historical context and I am not a bag maker, but to me leaving a flap unfinished and totally unshaped just does not seem logical since you are going to have to do some basic cutting of the leather to shape in order to form the bag anyway. 

Your bag does a nice job of balancing good design and workmanship with simplicity.  Neatly and effciently made but not overdone. Nice work.

Guy

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
I like it too.  How do you manage to leave the small areas of fur on it?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline art riser

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
very well done!!!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts/comments gentlemen.  Yes Guy I agree with your commment that primitive shouldn't also mean 'crude'.  I only chose to use 'primitive' in the context due to the material I was using.  I.e., 'bark tanned' versus normally 'veg tanned' leather/hides.  At least in my mind the use of 'bark tanned' hides lend themselves perfectly to pouches, or other items, of 'homespun' in nature, but not in lack of sophistication in style or of construction.   Having said that ‘staying in character’ is the hardest challenge I find when I design/make a pouch. 
As to the flaps?  I've been guilty on a couple pouches having flaps totally void of design.  However, I don't have a problem using a raggedy (with hair/fur still there) flap as long as there some symmetry to it and adds to the overall design of the pouch.  But to your point, without any thoughts to their design aren’t very appealing to me either.  And yes, if enough material is on hand then why not cut a bit more and give the flap some design.  Isn’t that what others are going to notice before anything else? 
On the other hand some builders may find themselves without enough material for a flap and that may have been the reason for a lack of symmetry, i.e., it was too short for any trimming anyway.
Suzkat, the tufts of hair are a result of the tanning process used by the tanner.  A lot of hides barktanned may have some hair around the edges or some will be purposely left in a section of the hide per the direction from the customer.  Personally I like to use flaps with a touch of ‘tufts of hair’ showing which is more a design statement than anything else.  In my mind, less is more. 
Again, thanks again for your time to take notice. 
Gary

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:14:29 PM »
Gary; Fine looking bag. Flap design looks good. Thanks, Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »
Nice bag Gary!  Very nice work.

Offline draken

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:18 PM »
Nice bag, Gary.  Really nice overall design.   The buckle looks green on my monitor.   If it is green, can you share your method?
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:32 AM »
 Greay lookn' bag Gary, I have always liked the Heart shaped bags, the flap fits right in. Well done.

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:06 AM »
Thank you again gentlemen. 

Draken, in reality it's a real dark green and was simple to capture the color.  I took a small glass jar, poked a hole or two in the top, intertwined a short piece of metal hangar through the holes in the top and made the end to form like a 'J".  Then pour some ammonia in the glass, put the buckle on the wire and screwed the top tight and let the fumes change the color.  To keep the fumes from escaping I applied some epoxy on the top where the wires join and voila. 

Gary

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 03:18:30 AM »
Very sharp!!!!!!
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning