Author Topic: C * Beck  (Read 4459 times)

Offline albert

C * Beck
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:44:59 AM »
 I would like to know if there are any pictures of a C  *  Beck signature in any books. I have an old poorly reconstructed rifle that has one of his bbls.on it.The bbl.most probably has been cut off at least 4" at the rear as now it is only 39 3/4" long and the rear sight is only 8 5/8 " from the rear,and the name is signed about  11/2"from the rear. The bore is about .370  with seven groves/lands.
The triggerguard and buttplate is a dead ringer for the rifles in the Kindig book,the toeplate is nicely engraved.My assumption is that this rifle was made up from a wrecked rifle.  This signature has the "8 pointed star" between C and Beck.,as described in the book.
j albert miles

Offline Dave B

Re: C * Beck
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:42:56 AM »
I believe you will find it the Patchbox's and sgnatures book by Wisker. They are out of print and will cost you at least $130 bucks. I have been looking to get a copy but I always manage to be a day late. >:( and a couple hundred short. :o
I want to say I have seen a signature in another publication but cant remember for the life of me where that was. I think it may well be in one of the collections of articles from Shumway's Muzzle Blast submissions. I will have to look.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »
The best source is probably the original "Patchboxes and Barrel Marks" by Roy Chandler. It has three early Christian Beck rifles with signatures shown, plus a "bunch" of Christian Beck II guns and signatures. The later Volume 2 book by Chandler and Whisker has only a single Christian Beck II gun illustrated.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »
Happy to scan the pages tonight and email them to you, if you do not have access to the books mentioned above. All the Beck barl signature ( several pages in Chandler) have either a "star  *( astericks -like) " or a + between the first initial and Beck ( the arms of the plus are not joined in the center).
Hurricane
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:20:11 PM by hurricane »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »
Whisker's "Longrifles of Virginia" has at least 2 good photos of C Beck signatures - these are the Christian Beck who moved to and worked in Martinsburg Virginia (now West Virginia) - and was the son of JP Beck.

If I am not mistaken, he had a cousin named Christian who worked a little later, eventually ending up working in Cincinnati and then finally SE Indiana.

And I believe there was also an older Christian Beck as well (a brother of JP Beck and father of the Cincinnati/ Indiana Christian Beck?), but there are no confirmed signed pieces by him? 

Anyone know?

There was a posting a few months ago on here of a buttstock with a JP Beck style patchbox outline and unique carving - looked like Christian Beck (son of JP Beck) to me but not sure.  It had a rounded cheekpiece which I have not seen on other Christian Beck rifles but is not unknown on Virginia guns of that period.  I think the posting is still active a few pages back.

Guy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:22:13 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:12:23 AM »
Ttried to reply to your email with three scanned pages. Returned "undeliverable" ???
Hurricane

Offline albert

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:26:07 AM »
  Hi Fred,
 Got your photo scans today,the signature on the bbl. that I have is very similar to the scans.When I get home from deer hunting,I will  take some pictures of what I have and try post them here .
 Thanks for your trouble.
j albert miles