Author Topic: 8 bore breech plug  (Read 5048 times)

AmBraCol

8 bore breech plug
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
I have read a bit on the forum and see that you guys have a wide variety of knowledge about the American Longrifle.  What I DON'T know is if there are any examples of heavy caliber (10 bore and larger) American Longrifles.  That is something I'm very curious about and am not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if any of y'all could point me to a better forum/source of information for such inquiries.  In the meantime, does anyone here know who might produce a commercially available breech plug for an 8 bore? Please pardon me if this post is out of line for the general content of the site.

Daryl

Re: 8 bore breech plug
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
My copy of "Firearms of the American West 1805 - 1865" contains a picture of a 'plains-style rifle of English pattern, that was built in Philadelphia.  It has a .75 cal. bore, and an octagonal barrel, looking to be about 1 1/4" across the flats, straight octagonal.  8 bore is .835". I am not aware of any rifles that large, but there were punt guns for market hunting ducks, geese and other shore birds from 4 bore (1.052" nominal) to 1.5" bore that shot upwards to 3 pounds of shot from the larger specimens.

As to availability of such a large breech plug - I know of none. 7/8x14 is the largest I am aware of in commercial plugs and that would be too small, at .875" OD.  An 8 bore plug would have a 1" thread diameter I'd think.  I know of none, but most of the gun makers or even a good machinst should be able to make one form a picture or diagram.

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
yea a 1" thread is most likely what your going to need

a 1"-12 thread should work nicely and id get the hole to be taped as close to the Minor dia

Dave Faletti

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
The Gunworks (thegunworks.com) has a 1&3/8 breech plug.  I don't have any info on it other than what their website says.

AmBraCol

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
The Gunworks (thegunworks.com) has a 1&3/8 breech plug.  I don't have any info on it other than what their website says.

Thank you, Dave.  I took a look, I'd been browsing their site the other day but was mainly looking at barrels.  Never thought to check  "furniture".  They do indeed have one that'd work - only it's for percussion.  Due to my current place of residence I'm looking for flint.  It's much easier to obtain inert stones than it is explosive laced bits of metal.  The propellant is still available, but a simple #10, #11 or musket cap is pretty much unknown here. Anyway, thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:30:45 AM »
If you just want the typical plug used on flint barrels some maybe most of the barrel makers make ones for their barrels.  If Rayl makes a bore size you want that might be a good source.  He said he makes any bore size people might use. 

AmBraCol

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
If you just want the typical plug used on flint barrels some maybe most of the barrel makers make ones for their barrels.  If Rayl makes a bore size you want that might be a good source.  He said he makes any bore size people might use. 

Thank you, Dave.  Does he have a website?  I've been searching but keep coming up blank.  Contact with folks in the US from just north of the Equator and south of the Canal can be tricky, which is why I tend to rely on the internet.  But in this case, I find sources for his barrels up to 62 caliber or so, but no web site. 

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
I don't know of an email address for Ed.   This is all I have.
W.E. Rayl
PO Box 91
Gassaway, WV 26624
(304) 364-8269

camerl2009

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »

Thank you, Dave.  Does he have a website?  I've been searching but keep coming up blank.  Contact with folks in the US from just north of the Equator and south of the Canal can be tricky, which is why I tend to rely on the internet.  But in this case, I find sources for his barrels up to 62 caliber or so, but no web site. 

Again, thanks for the feedback.

much like you if there out of country i tend to want to use the internet

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
If you need a breech for an 8 bore, Dennis Mc Candless of Las Cruces New Mexico can make one for you as well as a complete gun in what ever rifled bore size you would want up to 4 bore if I'm not mistaken.  2094 Tres Pinos Ln. 88005 is his address.      Smylee

AmBraCol

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
If you need a breech for an 8 bore, Dennis Mc Candless of Las Cruces New Mexico can make one for you as well as a complete gun in what ever rifled bore size you would want up to 4 bore if I'm not mistaken.  2094 Tres Pinos Ln. 88005 is his address.      Smylee

Thanks, Smylee.  On his website I found this: "I will not make or sell any plug that I do not fit. "  Due to my situation there is no way I could get the barrel stock to him to have him fit a breechplug.  But thanks, I appreciate the info.

Online tim crowe

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »
Pablo

A breech could be made from a grade 8 bolt and have a tang welded on, right there in Pereira. I did plenty on fixes in the Llanos like that.It may end up less costly than having one sent to you in Colombia. Do you have a 8 bore now or are you assembling one? Do you know what the tread in the barrel is? Generally every escopeta I worked on was a 16 ga with a few 20ga , very few 12 ga were there. If I can help you out let me know I have people traveling your way several times a year.

Timoteo

AmBraCol

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »
Pablo

A breech could be made from a grade 8 bolt and have a tang welded on, right there in Pereira. I did plenty on fixes in the Llanos like that.It may end up less costly than having one sent to you in Colombia. Do you have a 8 bore now or are you assembling one? Do you know what the tread in the barrel is? Generally every escopeta I worked on was a 16 ga with a few 20ga , very few 12 ga were there. If I can help you out let me know I have people traveling your way several times a year.

Timoteo

Thanks, Timoteo, I've considered that.  Sent you a private message.