Author Topic: Tennessee architecture  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Rich

Tennessee architecture
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:01:53 AM »
Would a ramrod groove molding (simple cove) be improper on a tennessee rifle?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Tennessee architecture
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:39:02 AM »
Forend moldings of any sort are rare on what we tend to think of as the "classic" east Tennessee style rifle, ca: 1830s on forward. I am sure there are some.  But they don't seem to be typical based on what I have seen.  Most often, the only moldings on these guns are on the cheekpiece.

There are a number of earlier looking iron mounted guns, ca: 1800-1820 that appear to be made in either Tennessee or southwestern Virginia and North Carolina that have forend moldings and/ or lower buttstock moldings.  James Levy posted one last year from the Florida museum that had concave groove forend moldings as I recall.

If I were building an 1830s East Tennessee gun and wanted moldings, I guess I would keep it a simple incised line or simple relieved line.  Sort of a slippery slope though - finding a graceful way to terminate the line so it keeps the lines flowing - because fancy finials, snake tail finials, etc, that are used on other types of guns to terminate moldings would tend to look out of place on a Tennessee rifle, based on most originals I've seen.

Guy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:06:52 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Tennessee architecture
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »
I've only seen a couple with forend moulding.   The fancy Silver Bull rifle has a molding line.  I think I remember seeing an A. Lawing rifle that had a double incised line?   They are rare as Guy mentioned. 
I don't recall how they were terminated but anything fancy or high profile would have stuck out like a sore thumb and I'm sure I would have remembered that.
Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.