Author Topic: Amish Gunsmiths??  (Read 23448 times)

Teun

Amish Gunsmiths??
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
All, I have a question regarding gunsmiths who were Amish.  First, were there any?  I have my suspicions that there had to have been some Amish making early rifles in PA.  Also, what are the names of these builders (assuming there are a few)?  Thanks for the knowledge!!

All the best,

Tim

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Amish Gunsmiths??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:40:12 PM »
This is from a Cowan's Auction.   
"A huge surprise of the auction came with the sale of a half stock percussion rifle made by Ruben Yutzy, Holmes County, Ohio’s only local Amish gunsmith. Yutzy lived from 1819 through 1899 and flourished between 1839 and 1875. This particular gun was estimated to bring in $15/2500 but commanded attention when it hammered in for $24,150. Whether it was the rarity and local ties to Ohio Amish Country or the allure of the intricate detailing, bidders were willing to lay down big bucks to acquire this rifle. "

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:13:26 AM »
Allen Martin........................Don

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:06:56 AM »
You beat me to the draw, Bro. Don!

I think it's a little funny that the Pennsylvania Amish that I'm familiar with will drive a buggy to the woods then deer hunt with the most modern scoped rifle you can find  :o

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:21:33 AM »
Isn't he Mennonite?

FK

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:12:50 AM »
He was born and reared Old Order Amish, but converted to Mennonite when he reached adulthood. Wife, too, I'm pretty sure. This I do know....you won't find a finer couple than the Martins! I count myself lucky to know them!

Teun

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
Thanks a million guys!

Online AMartin

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
Pouncy
Does Martin sound Amish ??

I was born & raised Mennonite or as we were called in the ol day ... Swissers as we are from Bern Switzlerland .

My family never left the Lancaster Co area ... and many still live there today .

Allen
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:00:14 PM by AMartin »

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
Now Allen, you or either Dave Dodds told me years ago that you were originally Old Order Amish, and I'm 98% sure that it was YOU, because at the time I got a good laugh out of you telling me about the magazines you and the other....never mind...I better not go there  ;D Anyhow, I'm proud to have you as a friend!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
By golly Allen, if you were to tack Amish made to your wares you should expect at least another 25% :-X ;)
Joel Hall

Fred

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
Old order Amish in Northern In are open buggy Amish with a big black umbrella the rest ride in comfort in a closed buggy with a catalictic gas heater. Some of the churches in this area even allow electricity and cars. And of course they don't go anywhere without their cell phone

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:52 PM »
Let's get back on track, Teun's question was whether there were Amish gunmakers.  The Amish, like the Quakers were pacifists, but that would not have prevented gunmakers,  They were also a self sufficient within there community as much as possible, much like the Moravians.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline James

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »
I understand that they are pacifists, but they hunted. This doesn't answer as to were there, but I know an Amish man now who builds longrifles.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
Pouncy
Does Martin sound Amish ??

I was born & raised Mennonite or as we were called in the ol day ... Swissers as we are from Bern Switzlerland .

My family never left the Lancaster Co area ... and many still live there today .

Allen

If you want to have some fun Bring up the white pages on your computer and type in "Martin" Lebanon Pa. or Lancaster pa. and start counting. There are...... one or two ;D

Offline spgordon

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »
Let's get back on track, Teun's question was whether there were Amish gunmakers.  The Amish, like the Quakers were pacifists, but that would not have prevented gunmakers,  They were also a self sufficient within there community as much as possible, much like the Moravians.

Exactly. Especially if they were building rifles, which weren't, for the most part, considered weapons of war until the Revolution (when there were rifle companies formed and rifles requisitioned by state governments for outfitting troops).
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Teun

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
This is bascally why I was asking...since the Amish hunted (and still do), and given their renown as craftsmen I initially thought that there must have been builders in the Amish community.  But when I read I don't find much at all.  Of course, would the Amish build heavily engraved/carved pieces?  Probably not as this would be too fancy for them...but maybe for customers?  I don't know...but it is a subject that fascinates me.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
Hummm...theres a good book on the history and building of "Pennsylvania Dutch Furniture". It starts out talking about P/D faith, gunsmithing, metal  and conestoga wagon working etc...then goes on to traditional furniture designs and patterns...I will see if it mentions any gun makers names?
tca
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Kline

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:25 AM »
Don't confuse the Amish with the Pennsylvania Dutch. The Amish started in Switzerland. The Pennsylvania Dutch are settlers from Germany or Duetschland. We here in York county, of German decent, refer to ourselves as York County Dutchman, and both my Granddads spoke Pennsylvania Dutch and don't think it was the same as what the Amish speak.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »
Daniel, your last statement, may be our answer, plain, and simple, which the collectors wouldn't have given a second glance, whether made by them or someone else.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Ever seen an Amish quilt........ pretty fantastic craftsmanship, & beautiful.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Teun

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »
I don't want this to turn into and Amish society type of conversation...I do know exactly who the Amish are and where they originated from.  I do consider them to be very good craftsmen...hence my original question...

And my wife owns 2 Amish quilts.. and they are indeed beautiful.   :)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
So lots of speculation... they did/do shoot...maybe make guns...don't know as no one seems to know of any guns or builders who are Amish. The idea that Amish guns might be plain..no evidence to support that...  Not much help here Teun.  I would be great if you would share anything that you learn on the subject elsewhere......
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:32:18 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Teun

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
I would gladly share if I had any...I'm not trying to be difficult lol! 

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
I have yet to see any gunsmiths listing either Amish or Mennonite as their religion (though maybe the infamous Martin Meili was Mennonite.... I'd have to look again and see).  Generally you see Reformed, Lutheran, or Moravian.   ;)  I would actually expect to see some Mennonite gunsmiths perhaps, here and there, but I would not expect to see any Amish gunsmiths in the 18th/early 19th century.  At the time, the Amish were the more austere, breakaway sect.  

As far as being "good craftsmen".... well, some are, and some ain't.  Just like with anyone else.  

Oh, and among the Amish/Mennonites I know, they do tend to like pretty nice guns!   ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:00:53 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline spgordon

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
I have yet to see any gunsmiths listing either Amish or Mennonite as their religion

The Newcomers in Lancaster County were Mennonite gunsmiths, no?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook