Author Topic: Original TN Rifle  (Read 5186 times)

Swampman

Original TN Rifle
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:01 AM »
A local shop has an original hog rifle. The lock and triggerguard are missing. It is at this time a percussion gun. It has a nice spear point tang. The barrel looks to be at least 44" and I'd guess it's about a 40 caliber and perhaps 1" across the flats. I don't see any markings on the barrel. It has real nice low sights. The wrist on the stock appears to have been broken and the glued a long time ago. You can see where the repair was wrapped with string or something at one time. It has a tallow hole and a nice homemade buttplate. The gun has a nice graceful appearance. The barrel which is not installed has 3 or 4 staples for pins. It has a drum and a nipple. The wiping stick looks original. It has double set triggers. They are asking $300.00 but I might get them down a little. Do you think it would be worth that and could it possibly be restored at least for appearance sake?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Original TN Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:59:45 AM »
Good grief! Go buy it even if you have to pay the ask on it. If the wood is original and everything else is there, it sounds like a bargain. You go buy and sell it to me if you have buyer's remorse.
Dick

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
I agree with Dick but he left out one thing, get back there and buy it NOW! If you don't want it at his price please send me the contact information so I can discuss buying it .
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:17:15 PM »
Wow guys.  Looks like I might need to revisit a couple of things I have seen.  Seemed pretty high for the condition its in but then again, I'm not a collector.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Swampman

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
I believe the barrel is good enough to shoot, but it would probably need to be freshed and have a new touch hole liner or drum.  It would be nice to fit it with a vintage hardware store lock.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
Though not a shooter myself, the wisdom always expressed by experts on this site is why take the risk to yourself and the the possibility of destroying a rare and unique piece of antiquity ( and its value). At a minimum have it checked by an expert ( real expert) muzzle loading gunsmith.
Hurricane

Swampman

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I wouldn't undertake to do anyting to it myself.  My inlaws live near Ken Guy and I'd probably let him check it over.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
Mark,
Sorry to say I moved earlier this year.  I'm now in the Greenville, SC area. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Swampman

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
I'm up that way all the time too.  My son lives in Hickory, NC.

Offline tom patton

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
By all means buy it,it's worth that as a wall hanger and a little cash negotiating might even  drop the price.Some good pictures including full length on both sides and close up of the butt and lock panels would help. Without seeing this gun I would guess that it would take at least  $700.00 to $800.00 {more if you could find an old lock and guard}and a competent restorer,not necessarily a builder.For the time being LEAVE THE GUN ALONE until someone who knows what he is doing can be found.At the present time the market on guns like this is pretty soft  and I would give serious consideration to using it as a wall hanger unless you can find repro parts which can be made to fit the mortices without damage to the integrity of the gun.
  Without seeing the gun it is hard to identify the period and place of origin for guns like this one.At a local show recently another collector and I appraised a nice rifle, brass mounts with a little added brass trim and possibly a cap box ,but overall a  very nice decorator. I put about $1000 to $1,200 and the other collector who makes more shows than me put $900.00 to $1200.I think it would sit on a table a long time before it brought any more.
Good luck
Tom Patton

Offline Ezra

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »
If you are not going to buy it, at least tell us where it is so one of us can.  ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"