Author Topic: bayonet lug  (Read 5356 times)

Offline alex e.

bayonet lug
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
Not rifle building. But....

For an up coming project. I need to mount a bayonet. Am Ito assume that it is best to  sweat/brase the lug in place? I cannot see solder being strong enough.

Thanks, Alex
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: bayonet lug
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
I would braze or silver braze. soft solder, plumber's 95/5, staybrite, etc is just good for looks. If you are going to gore someone, you don't want the lug falling off halfway through the job.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 04:03:30 AM »
A little graphic :o :o  But thats what I thought also.

Alex..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:43 AM »
I guess it's too gory to think about, but that's what it's for. You see Hudson Valley fowlers that have been shrtened a bit, and have a front sight that could pass as a lug, kind of blockish. I imagine the fowlers got used in the Rev war, and for militia groups later on.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

famouseagle

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:17:03 AM »
Alex:  Are you adding something to the smoothbore shoot next year? :o

Offline alex e.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:51:08 AM »
Alex:  Are you adding something to the smoothbore shoot next year?
;
D ::) :-X ::)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:52:22 AM by alexsnr »

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »
Alex,

I have made a couple of muskets, both English and American and I dovetail the lug in place with a YERY SMALL dovetail and then hard solder or braze it in place. It should be able to withstand repeated thrusts when using the bayonet!!!!!

Michael

Offline TPH

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
Alex,

I have made a couple of muskets, both English and American and I dovetail the lug in place with a YERY SMALL dovetail and then hard solder or braze it in place. It should be able to withstand repeated thrusts when using the bayonet!!!!!

Michael

That's the way they were done at the arsenals. Nothing else will stand up to the hard service required.
T.P. Hern

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
Somebody tick you off at Louisburg last year?  Perhaps that Sgt. that required you to hang your firelock from the trigger to prove the soundness of the half cock???
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline alex e.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
Not having done this before:The heat from soldering is one thing,  The heat from brazing is another,Will that much heat cause any distortion to the barrel?

Alex.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »
Lugs were originally brazed on by putting a thin sheet of copper or brass between the two items and bringing them up to melting temperature in the forge using borax as a flux.

You can do almost the same thing by induction welding it with a car or lawn mower battery, but you have to have it set up right.  If you put a piece of very thin copper or brass sheet stock between two pieces of metal and clamp a jumper cable to each piece you instantly create a short circuit.  Having a lower melting temp, the sheet stock will melt and fuse to the steel.  This is the same way a fuse works except it breaks the circuit.  The danger is that, if uncontrolled, the short circuit will explode the battery.

You need some resistance, like a seal beam, wired into the circuit and also a switch that will instantly activate or break the circuit.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson