Author Topic: Tree rats  (Read 6898 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Tree rats
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
All the talk bout squirrel season got me in the mood for some dumplins so I took my 12 ga game gun behind the house this evening an took a couple an my 75 yr old mother is gonna cook us up some dumplins tommorro nite.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline alyce-james

Re: Tree rats
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »
The plans for your back yard harvest and home made Mother dumplings sound great for a Sunday meal. Thanks for the posting. Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

stone knife

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
Nice shooting, and the meal sounds great.

TNrifleman

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
I love to hunt squirrels and a fine meal made from the results of a successful hunt is one of life's sweetest pleasures. Squirrel ans dumplings are good for your soul! ;D

roundball

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »
Good hunt...wish ours opened real early like some states, but squirrel pretty much parallels deer and deer trump squirrels for me during October/November... 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
Our squirrel season has been open for a while; just haven't had the chance to get into the woods.  Soon, though.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
Congrats!

Our squirrel season has been open since Labor Day, but the skeeters in the woods are bigger than the squirrels, so I'll wait until it gets colder...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
Yep, still a bit too warm to fight your way through the woods.  In a couple of weeks.....
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Walker Mountain

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
When you said tree rats I was expecting to see what we call here in Oregon wood rats about the same size. When chase they'll take to any near thick stand of trees running up high jumping from tree to tree like monkeys to get away. Very hard to hit and no I've never eaten one. Squirrel and dumplings does sound pretty good.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
When you said tree rats I was expecting to see what we call here in Oregon wood rats about the same size. When chase they'll take to any near thick stand of trees running up high jumping from tree to tree like monkeys to get away. Very hard to hit and no I've never eaten one. Squirrel and dumplings does sound pretty good.

????  Never heard of those. Must be a "South of the 49th animal".

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
Good hunt, wattlebuster!  Looks like skillet fodder to me!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

greybeard

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
All the talk bout squirrel season got me in the mood for some dumplins so I took my 12 ga game gun behind the house this evening an took a couple an my 75 yr old mother is gonna cook us up some dumplins tommorro nite.

I was born in the "dirty thirties" where money was scarce. When mom made stew & dumplins desert was a dumpling with corn syrop poured over it. Try it please. I still eat dumplings this way.
Cheers   Bob

Walker Mountain

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:57:04 PM »
Daryl I’m surprised that you never heard of or encounter a woodrat they have a bushy tail and call the woods there home. Make their nest with heavy twigs usually at the base of a tree or up high in the tree. Native of the northwest (south of the 49th) right up into Canada but don’t like Alaska. Try Google (Google Images) search “woodrat nest”, I’m betting you have trip over or at least seen these nest in the woods some are quite large. Google Images is a quick research method to find anything.
 ;D "Free Trapper"

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Pack-rat - bushy tailed version, etc. Interesting - I've never seen one.  I've got a feeling they aren't really prolific around here, but the wikky says North to the Arctic Circle.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Pack rats?  Yep, we've got them around here in this part of Northern BC.  Don't think even a wolverine would eat one of the things though, and a wolverine will generally eat about anything it can get in it's mouth.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"