Author Topic: Cody October Turkey Match  (Read 4179 times)

SPG

Cody October Turkey Match
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
The October Turkey Match was contested on the 2nd and we enjoyed challenging (windy) conditions and good participation. Dan Phariss came down with son Daniel (home on leave) and father and son gave us all a lesson on putting them in the middle with Dan's new .50, 18 lb. flint Dickert rifle. Dan built it up using the new MacLemore barrels we ordered in and the general consensus was that these are indeed excellent match-grade barrels and more than worth the price.

Dan and Daniel won seven of the ten matches and Dan shot the only spider of the day, a .143. We suspended operations for a time to let some 50 MPH winds blow through; when they backed down to 5-20 mph gusts we went back to work.

Of interest to those who despair of ever owning a fancy, hi-priced custom rifle- Dan Brown used his .45 CVA Mountain Rifle and, short of having one complete miss (first shot) turned in a very good string of shots. His last five shots agg'd 4.605", three of which were under a half-inch from center.   

10 shots, 60 yards, plank rest. Strings were as follows-

Dan Phariss- 10.484"- won 4 matches and aggregate
Steve Garbe- 12.100"
Mike Otterberg- 14.711"
Robby Robinson- 15.063"- won 1 match
Dan Brown- 18.293"- won 2 matches
Daniel Phariss- 20.384"- won 3 matches
Dick Buswell- 28.339"

Equipment-
Dan and Daniel Phariss- .50 flint Phariss/Dickert, MacLemore gain twist barrel, .495 ball, 100 grs. 3FG Swiss, .018 ticking, water soluble oil, wiped, barrel sights with shaders.
Steve Garbe- .45 percussion Phariss/Vincent, Green Mountain 1-60, 65 grs. 3FG Swiss, .446 ball, .018 ticking, water soluble oil, wiped, CCI caps, globe and peep sights.
Dan Brown- .45 CVA percussion, CVA 1-60, .445 ball, .012 linen, water soluble oil, 55 grs. 3FG Swiss, CCI caps, wiped, barrel sights.
Robby Robinson- .40 Garbe/Vincent, Green Mountain barrel, .395 ball, .012 linen, water soluble oil, 50 grs. 3FG Swiss, RWS caps, wiped, globe and peep sights.
Mike Otterberg- .50 Lyman Great Plains, Lyman 1-60 barrel, .490 Hornady ball, 60 grs. 3FG Swiss, ticking, water soluble oil, wiped, barrel sights.
Dick Buswell- .40 Roswell Cook, Cook barrel, .395 ball, .015 patch, TC Bore butter, 53 grs. 3FG Swiss, Remington caps, blade front, aperture rear, wiped.

Looking forward to November's shoot. We shoot the first Saturday of the month, plenty of coffee and doughnuts. Holler if you are in town...

Steve

Daryl

Re: Cody October Turkey Match
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »
WOW - tks for the post, Steve.  Very well documented. The 'Phariss's clean house!  I think he/they should have had to shoot the swivel breech - just because - new rule for next time.

How much time, would you say, elapsed between each shot from your rifle?

SPG

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »
Daryl,

Probably 10 minutes, maybe fifteen. We shoot, post new target, load, fire and then post new target. Very laid back, no real time limit on the shot other than heckling from the other shooters.

I like swivel breeches as much as anybody but Dan and I have talked about how they aren't probably the best for serious target work. This new Dickert of Dan's is a sweet rifle, looks very trim, especially considering that it has a 1 1/4" barrel. The Reverend is all fired up to build one like it. Dan will probably post some photos.

I'm impressed (as is Dan) with the MacLemore barrels. Excellent accuracy, easy loading, and they are actually made out of gun barrel quality steel (4150). As far as I'm concerned my next target rifles will be wearing MacLemore barrels.

Steve

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
BTW Steve: We forgot to do the group picture.....

But here are some photos I did take....
Dan and his CVA

Shooting the unfinished rifle.

Danged wind...

Dan and his CVA shot this near spider and still lost that match. Shame really, its an excellent shot.

Robby and his Vincent.

Daniel Phariss the younger did an good job of holding up the Marine Corps reputation even though he had not shot a flintlock or any ML in over 2 years and had some problems with the flash...

My sighter/backer 10 score shots and quite a few sighters with some sight changes. I had only fired about 12 shots through the rifle going into this match and needed to get a 60 yard zero. We do not do aiming points in the turkey match you shoot at the target being scored.

We were forced to shoot multiple shots on the same target due to a shortage of targets.

As the photos show we allow various old design "peep" sights. This being said the short string was fired with and 7 of 10 matches were won with shaded open sights and a flintlock.

The shooting done by Dan Brown and his early CVA is not the first time some dark horse attended to give us a shooting lesson with a production rifle. We ALL wish we could get more people in attendance. Its a lot of fun and is low key, we have only been forced to break the leg of one shooter for making too good a shot in all the time we have run these old time format matches ;D
Anyone who lives within driving range (I drive 2.5-3 hours one way) should come by at least once to see what goes on.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dave Faletti

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
How long is the barrel on your new rifle Dan?  From the pic I would never have guessed the barrel is that big.  It looks stout though.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
And fun was had by all. :D Some great shooting. Thanks for posting. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »
Well, tks for the pictures, Dan.  So - individual shots are scored as individual matches, with the total string measure going to the agg.  Maybe we can do someting like this next rendezvous locally. That plank looks pretty cool- also appears to have a notch cut in it for the ramrod to settle into.

Will be a good looking gun, Dan.  Does not appear that massive, but heavy still, of course due to the big barrel. That blue tape looks especially nice although I assume it's holding on a protector to keep too much facial oil out of the cheek piece.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
How long is the barrel on your new rifle Dan?  From the pic I would never have guessed the barrel is that big.  It looks stout though.

Its just a little under 44".

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »
Well, tks for the pictures, Dan.  So - individual shots are scored as individual matches, with the total string measure going to the agg.  Maybe we can do someting like this next rendezvous locally. That plank looks pretty cool- also appears to have a notch cut in it for the ramrod to settle into.

Will be a good looking gun, Dan.  Does not appear that massive, but heavy still, of course due to the big barrel. That blue tape looks especially nice although I assume it's holding on a protector to keep too much facial oil out of the cheek piece.

I built it with the same clearances as a regular Kentucky using a 3/16 web between the barrel and rod.
After drilling at the breech to check how deep the rod was I found that it came out as close as it could to planned. 1 1/4" barrel, 3/16 web, 3/8 rod hole, and planned about .125 under the rod. It measures to having about .100 wood at the front TG extension and a drilled hole at that point confirms this. Drill ran almost exactly as planned. It was a piece of 3/8" hardware store (Lowe's) rod made into a gun drill and casehardened at the cutting end. But I was very careful to get the rod channel parallel with the barrel.  If it runs up/down/sideways the drill goes there. I was confident enough that I left no extra wood under the forend before drilling. But I felt for hot spots as I drilled...

Yeah the masking tape was to keep it cleaner.  Could have used more...
I thought the pink duct tape to keep fouling off the wood behind the cock was classy too ;D
I am now really hot to get in finished and shoot it some more but Daniel is on pre-deployment leave and I need to take a break and maybe go shoot a coyote or something with him.

Dan