Author Topic: "layering" of powders  (Read 3992 times)

Offline bob in the woods

"layering" of powders
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
While talking about long range shooting with a longrifle, it seemed that I remembered about a long range trial re hitting a distant target with a .54 cal ball. I believe that the powder charge was 2 different sizes ie
3F then 2 F etc.  Has anyone tried this ? Would it really make a difference as far as increasing range ?
Why not just use a greater charge of the slower powder ?
Once the snow comes, and I can see the ball impacts a little better, I want to try some 2 and 300 yd shooting with my .62 . That's why I'm asking.  The Edward Marshal barrel length is a short 37 inches  ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: "layering" of powders
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:09:03 AM »
I had a shootin buddy that did that regularly, years ago, with no problem.  Why he did it I have no idea.  Balance things out maybe.  Hopefully no one every decides to mix in some smokeless ::) :o

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:38 AM »
only time ive done something like that was with pyrodex i used 5gr of 4f under the charge of pyrodex RS(i used a .22 lr case to measure the 4f witch is about 5gr)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
While talking about long range shooting with a longrifle, it seemed that I remembered about a long range trial re hitting a distant target with a .54 cal ball. I believe that the powder charge was 2 different sizes ie
3F then 2 F etc.  Has anyone tried this ? Would it really make a difference as far as increasing range ?
Why not just use a greater charge of the slower powder ?
Once the snow comes, and I can see the ball impacts a little better, I want to try some 2 and 300 yd shooting with my .62 . That's why I'm asking.  The Edward Marshal barrel length is a short 37 inches  ;D

Just shoot FF or FFF it will work fine, probably better than mixing powder.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:33:42 AM »
I use 10 grains 3F under 80 grains of 2F in my chunk gun. I've been told, right or wrong, that the 3F goes off more surely and that the 2F burns longer in the barrel creating more velocity. My barrel is 48", .45 cal with a 1-72 to 1-56 ROT. Right or wrong I don't know but when it works I don't try to fix it.
Mark
Mark

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:48:55 AM »
I have never done this, but, I think you are overcomplicating a simple thing.   Shoot FF or FFF, you cannot see or feel a
difference............Don

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
Don,
You may very well be right, the KISS principle has reigned forever.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
Mark - I think you should chronograph the 100gr. of 2F and chronograph the 10gr./90gr.mix and see just how much difference there really is.

Of course, velocity isn't the main reason for special loads - accuracy is. If 100gr.of 2f is more accurate than the mix, I'd use that, or visa-vis.

Like Don, I've never seen any difference in ignition of the main charge, between 2f and 3F, except when comparing the 2 as pan powder itself.  With proper sparks, the both go off - 3f priming merely ignites the barrel charge more quickly. 4f is faster yet, with Null B being the fastest of priming powders. All this has been proven by Rich.

Accuracy wise, we've found there is a difference  with 2F being more accurate than 3F in every gun we've tested the two granulations in, from .50 to my 'little' .69.  The slower and lower pressure spike of 2F also makes life easier for the patches.