Author Topic: New England Fowler for ID and information  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
New England Fowler for ID and information
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
ALR member Jim McKenzie sent me these photos and said I could post them for your review and comments. Here is what he had to say about this fowler:

I believe it is by the same maker as N.E.19 in Tom Grinslade's book Flintlock Fowlers. The maker in the book is unidentified .  The gun has a 48 inch barrel ,overall length is 64 inches .The butt is 1 3/4 inches wide.   Stock made of cherry ,iron ramrod & reconverted lock.

Its a great looking fowler.
Dennis

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:52:36 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: New England Fowler for ID and information
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
What a fine looking NE gun! Thank you for displaying it. Looks to be a late 1700s piece made by a really good builder up in that neck of the woods. Hope that this is entered into the virtual library, soon. Thanks again.
Dick

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
I'm sure a highly skilled, with no doubt, gun builder of the 1700's applied his skills on this fine piece. I especially like the side plate features. The wood work treatments are completed with a very fine skilled touch. Thanks for posting. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline debnal

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:18 AM »
A great fowler with an edge. The sideplate, carving and butt plate are all just a little different than the norm. Beautiful architecture.
Al

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 03:09:04 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind comments. I had always wanted a New England Fowler and when this one became available there was no doubt it was the one.  I was hoping someone       schooled in N.E. Fowler's might come up with a maker. It may be a Rhode Island gun.    JIM
JIM