Author Topic: Damage during shipping: Update from USPS  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Damage during shipping: Update from USPS
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
This is a reminder of a "sad" experience. A gun was shipped to me and insured via USPS. It arrived broken at the wrist. I recieved the following after a claim was filed:

" In response to the insurance claim for damged item(s) refereneced above, please present the item and mailing container( including the wrapping, packaging, and any other contents received), along with this letter, to a Post Office for inspection within 30 days.

If this evidence of damage is not available for inspection, your claim may be denied."

I don't know whether pictures will suffice??

FYI
Hurricane
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:07:00 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

keweenaw

Re: Damage during shipping: Update from USPS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:02:39 PM »
They really want to see the packing, without it they have no way of know whether the piece was mishandled - cardboard broken, etc. -or if it was simply shipped to you already broken.  The postal service is much more likely to pay a claim than is UPS.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:11 AM »
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, and hat, they want everything, pictures don't count.  Also if they pay the claim, they keep the gun, though you may be able to negotiate, depending on the Postmaster.  The middle ground would include only the cost of repair.  Arm yourself, google the postal reg's under claims, and read up.  Also The claim I believe has to be filed by the sender, which means you may have to send it back.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:08:00 AM by Bill of the 45th »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:11:27 AM »
I can say almost with certainty, that IF they approve your claim you will have to surrender the gun to them.  In turn, they will later auction it off at one of their mass USPS auctions.  Consider this carefully if the gun is irreplaceable.

In another twist that often occurs, even though you paid for the shipping and insurance, you didn't pay for it.  The shipper did.  They will often require the shipper to file the claim, not the receiver.  It is then up to him to refund your money whether he gets paid or not.  The onus is on him, not you since he packed and shipped it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:32 AM »
They will often require the shipper to file the claim, not the receiver.  It is then up to him to refund your money whether he gets paid or not.
What TOF says is true but I have had the post master and receiver work out a claim on a barrel/stock combo that I shipped. In a couple of days they had it worked out and he kept the stock and repaired it himself. I have no idea how he they did it, it was a small rural post office.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:40:27 AM »
That's why I say to get the PO reg's and read them, so you know more them.  He who has the most firepower wins.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:29:03 AM »
Hurricane,
The more you can make them look negligent the better off you will be, I had the same thing happen to me last year with FEDEX and we walked away with the money and the remains of the rifle.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I would like to turn to ways to pack guns for shipping that may help someone. See the next thread.
Hurricane