Author Topic: custom verses store bought  (Read 22180 times)

Offline elk killer

custom verses store bought
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »
i often wondered,,how many shoot a custom gun exclusively..verses something store bought?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Re: custom verses store bought
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
I build and shoot my own. Never bought a completed muzzleloader.

Dale H

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
Since about 1978 I have exclusively shot custom MLing rifles, the first couple of my own make. Prior to that I shot factory off the shelf rifles. The only factory rifle I use at all now is in Civil War reenacting.  My move to custom rifles was entirely based on a desire to be more "period correct"/historically accurate in the style and construction of the guns--many factory guns shoot just as good. I made my first rifles using 'only' [99%] hand tools just to see what is was like for the old time smiths--but I did not make my own locks or barrels [wish I had that talent/skill].  I have witnessed [some shot by me] many occasions where factory rifles outshot custom rifles--and only some of that was skill of the shooter. The most accurate rifle I ever owned was an inexpensive Numerich- barreled H&A.

R. Hare

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
First rifled gun I ever had was an inexpensive off the -shelf factory job.
Shot very well, but was ugly as a mud fence compared to most originals.

I will ever remember this gun though, as it opened to me a whole new world.....

Now I only shoot home-made rifles, and a Mark Silver kit I purchased from Jim Chambers years and years ago.
Made a barrel for one, and it too shoots awful well for some reason, but it's  43" long, and  a bit heavy, as I got sick of swamping it by hand, (Didn't use power tools)  so the  overall weight of gun  is about 10 lbs.

Period correctness has always been important to me, and hence the "custom" route.

Cheers,

Richard.

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
my first longrifle was a 45cal. jukar kentucky rifle..percussion!!now i only shoot the flintlocks and only the ones i make.....

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
What are these "jukars" I keep hearing referance to?
Tom C.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
Taylor and I both started with TC's - he in 1969 and me in 1972. From about '74 on - it's been customs for both of us.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:34:13 PM »
What are these "jukars" I keep hearing referance to?

They are misnomers by people who don't know their guns.

The very first kentucky rifles imported by CVA were stamped on the barrel-JUKAR Spain-

They weren't marked anywhere with the CVA stamping until later import law changes required it.

Also, the early CVA Mountain Rifles that were marked "made in the USA" had Douglas barrels on them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

omark

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »
i started with a t/c hawken capper in about 71, then built a 45 flint from a dixie kit, then to a cva capper. then i built a fullstock 62 hawken capgun from parts and still use this one. not too long after building the hawken i built a 40 poorboy flint from parts and use it for smaller work. as a matter of fact i used the 40 to get 2 nice does this yr. also use a navy arms 12 gauge i put together from a kit. i am thinking about building a jaeger style cause the hawken just gets heavier every yr (like me).

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »
CVA kit Kentucky followed by a Sharon Hawken kit...Jerimiah Johnson was IT. Never had a production long gun other than a kit.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline b bogart

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »
I built a TC "Hawken" outta surplus parts and a Montana Barrel Co. barrel. Next was a Pecatonica preshaped (not inletted though except the barrel) flint. Neither custom but neither off the shelf. I enjoy shooting either tho!!!!
Bruce

Harnic

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »
My first was an Italian "Hawken" percussion kit in 1976.  I rifled my own barrel for it in 1979 & converted it to flint with a L&R Late English flint lock kit.  Sold it to pay bills in '84 & built my current Track fullstock flint Hawken in 2005.  I left the barrel the full 42" as the blank came, & being 1" across the flats & 50 cal is very muzzle heavy with a total weight of 11.5 pounds & 60" long.  It shoots well from a rest, but I am incapable of shooting it accurately offhand.  I love it anyway!

tg

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 01:18:29 AM »
Like many I started with production guns and now only use customs either used ones or ones I have had a hand in making, can't say anything bad about production guns I shot my best trail walk score with one years ago.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 03:21:50 AM »
I build 'em I shoot 'em! ;D

Admit I started with the TC caplock :)

chapmans

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 03:54:00 AM »
I started with a custom it was 1973, it was a fullstock maple, not much figure, 13/16 douglas bbl .45 cal,38"long, brass hardware, precussion. I cost me $200.00, I was working as a carryout to pay for it. I killed my first muzzleloader deer with it in 1979. I traded it for the gun I killed my very  first deer with in 1975, it was in Wyoming and the gun is an 03A3 Springfield Sporter in .308 Norma mag with a Paledaeo Stock that was built in 1959, I still have it but haven't shot it since my last trip to Wyoming in 1989 maybe it wasn't a good trade.
   Steve C.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 03:59:29 AM »
Like many, I started with store bought then years later found the rewards of building my own the way I preferred them to fit me.

Nothing wrong with store bought mind you.  I just prefer to build my own.  I also like the rewards one gets from building their own. :)

long carabine

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 04:49:21 AM »
 I started with a T/C capper about 20 years ago then a CVA capper and moved to a Cabelas flint.o had a Austin and Halleck flint now its only custom long rifles for me. Longcarabine

northmn

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 06:07:54 AM »
First was a CVA kit gun, two piece stock fit together with a brass sheet and mismatched wood.  Shoot left handed and build my own.  No reason to buy a prebuilt.  Don't make any I like anyway.  Shoot flintlocks and have no use for any production flintlocks.

DP

Offline elk killer

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
after shooting a original caplock for about 2 years back in 1974,,i have been shooting a custom flintlock,of various schools ever since,,
shot the same fullstock flintlock Leman for 14 yrs,,which had a Siler lock,,,shot that rifle thousands of times,,still shoot it once in awhile,,and have never done a thing to the lock,,except change flints
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline wmrike

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »
I think it's kind of a loaded question.  There are the folks who just want something that goes "boom," and then there are the people that traffic this site.  Taken as a whole they have a keen interest in history and accurately portraying or reproducing a fragment in time.  They are craftsmen, ranging from dabblers like myself to true artisans and take extreme pride in what they can do with their hands.  Off-the-shelf fills none of their needs.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
My first muzzleloader was a Zuave made by Ultra hi in Japan. I had alot of fun with that piece. Never shot any game but did some serious damage to the scrap metal at the gravel pit. I sold it to help pay for my trip to Bowlling green KY carving class with John Bivins. I would do it all over again to sit under such a great teacher.
Dave Blaisdell

famouseagle

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I ordered a Numrich Arms "Minuteman" kit in 1970.  It only required assembly and finish.  The barrel wasn't bad (still have it) but the lock taught me the meaning of lag time.  The patchbox style could be best described as looking like a paint spill but the gun served the purpose of getting me hooked. 

I even went deer hunting with it once, long before the primitive weapon season started in PA.  One old guy looked at me and the Minuteman and offered me an old shotgun he had in his truck.  I did get a shot at a nice buck, but there was this lag time...................

lew wetzel

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
quote by tof;They are misnomers by people who don't know their guns.

sure would be nice if we all new everything,then there wouldnt be a need for this board.....cant wait till i grow old and know everything.......

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
I have had one store bought that I can recall. A Belgium made DGW Squirrel Rifle 40 cal.
My first rifle was a unsigned custom 32 caliber percussion.
I have not had a store bought since I sold the DGW about 1969?.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 03:49:18 AM »
Lew, When you grow old and know everyting, you will find that most of it isn't relevant any more....then you are just old and know a lot of things that most people don't care about anyhow.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard