Author Topic: Question about #4 in Kindig's "Thoughts on the Kentucky..."  (Read 2451 times)

Offline James

Question about #4 in Kindig's "Thoughts on the Kentucky..."
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:26:24 AM »
Hello, Mr. Kindig states that he felt #4 was made by Peter Neihart. Is that considered to be correct? Also, does the gun show up in any other photos anywhere?
Thanks, Jim
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Question about #4 in Kindig's "Thoughts on the Kentucky..."
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »
Kindig theorized that the gun was a Neihart because it had many of the same traits as a signed, similar rifle. Can't think of any other photos of this rifle in any books. Someone here on the Forum may know of some. Let's hope so. It's a great piece of work.
Dick

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:59 AM »
I agree that it is a great piece. I have a short list where I've gone through the books and paid attention to those that my "eye" really likes. This gun is on the list.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:43 AM »
I have not seen any other photo's of this rifle. Comparing to RCA 1 #56 signed Neihardt the buttstock shapes almost overlay each other. Base C scroll is very similar. Interesting details for me are the very low cheekpiece, Neihardt " snowman" and the punched circles seen in front of the wood box cover. These circles are typically seen on early rifles , Christian Spring work and the David Deschler rifle come to mind.  It's a very interesting rifle for me, would proably get more attention if published better.