Author Topic: bpc cast bullets for fast twist ml  (Read 14766 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: bpc cast bullets for fast twist ml
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 09:43:15 PM »
Daryl, with names like "Venom" and  "Black widow" these bullets must be deadly!!!!
Same old story as fishing lures being made to catch fishermen, not fish.
I played around with bullets in my flintlocks years ago. I tried the 50-70 425 grain , but swaged it down and paperpatched it. I worked well, all things considered. I built a .45 cal rifle in a 1 in 18 twist
for long range target shooting and used the Lyman Postel bullet in it. Also used my PP bullets.
However, when it comes to hunting, I stopped fooling around with bullets etc because they were more work..and the round balls worked better anyway. The pointed bullets were the absolute worst performing bullets I have ever had the misfortune to use!  I changed over to the Lyman flat tip cast bullets in my marlin, and that solved the problem. When using my muzzleloaders, I have never seen a decent sized roundball fail on game, and they are my projectile of choice.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:11 PM »
The pointed bullets were the absolute worst performing bullets I have ever had the misfortune to use!  I changed over to the Lyman flat tip cast bullets in my marlin, and that solved the problem.

If you were using pointed bullets in a lever action Marlin, you are lucky to still be with us with your hands intact.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 02:18:26 AM »
Sorry...reading my reply, I can see that it is confusing. Too many thoughts going on at once!
The pointed bullets were all used in muzzleloaders or in my Sharps rifle. I always used the Lyman 420 gr flat point in my Marlin.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 03:18:50 AM »
The pointed bullets were the absolute worst performing bullets I have ever had the misfortune to use!  I changed over to the Lyman flat tip cast bullets in my marlin, and that solved the problem.

If you were using pointed bullets in a lever action Marlin, you are lucky to still be with us with your hands intact.

You need to get out more.
ALL Hornady LeveRevolution(R) ammo is pointed.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 06:08:01 AM »
You need to get out more.
ALL Hornady LeveRevolution(R) ammo is pointed.

It's not a matter of getting out, I just don't care enough to follow all that new stuff anymore.  I had a Marlin and a "94" that I hadn't shot since the mid-80's along with a bunch of other cartridge guns.  Rather than have them sit around gathering dust, I split them up and gave them to my sons.  I kept my Weatherby along with a 7mm mag, 7mm Mauser, and a pair of heavy varmint rifles in 25-06 and 22-250.  They'll probably end up with them too before too long.  Besides, I reloaded everything I shot back then.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson