Author Topic: David Boyer Schimmels  (Read 7456 times)

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
David Boyer Schimmels
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
 Thought I would start a new thread. These are the color photos from the article in the KRA Brown book taken by the author who was kind enough to allow me to post these. Notice the architecture is similar in refinement to the fancier rifle, butt stock, cheek piece, lock panels etc. Also the signatures adding to the Idea that these guns were not all cobbled together out of old or random parts These all have rear sights as does the smooth bore Angstat gun in the Library.
Not uncommon in the area
Unlike the Yeti, these do exist ;D.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:59:44 AM by smshea »

billd

Re: David Boyer Schimmels
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »

Offline smshea

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:05:01 AM »
Of course!  And Vladimir Putin wrestles him on Saturday Nights ::).

billd

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:20:15 AM »
It's got to be true. I read it on the internet!!   ;D

Bill

Offline smshea

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:14 AM »
Thought I would post these Angstat Pics for quick reference.

billd

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:36:20 AM »
Nice guns.  Thanks for the pictures.

Bill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Relative of Nicholas?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smshea

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
 Mike

I'm not sure to be honest. Here is a site with info on Boyer's Genealogy. I do not know how accurate this info is but I did have the site saved.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~boyerlinks/boyer_orwigsburg/david_thirdgen.html

Boyer is a VERY common name around these parts and most Boyers, Beyers, Blylers, Beylers, etc from Central Pa. can all find one or more of these spellings in there family tree. I have not done any independent study of David Boyer other than to read the work of Tim Lubinesky and Ron Gabel , various chats with Greg and Chuck Dixon and whatever I could pic up with a Google Search. I have handled a bunch of his guns over the years.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:37:14 PM by smshea »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 05:18:51 AM »
Interesting in that a back action lock has been used used in one of those rifles.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:01:08 AM »
Scott, can you give us any more info about those Boyer rifles? Particularly caliber and barrel length. I'm curious. Also, is one of those trigger guards iron or just pretty well gunked over time?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »
A great subject. In fact Shimmels show great variety.

Some were cobbled together much like buying a Track kit, installing the lock and barrel and trigger, cut to a reasonable pull , and sold in quantity to tinkers (frontier salesmen) also selling pots, pans, tools and fabrics who would scrap it a bit, apply a stain (sometimes), a coat of linseed oil, and sell it as a utility gun to back country farmers.

Some smiths, when they were light of customers, would produce unfinished guns, then finish them to the complexity the customer wished. Plainest to full furniture with carving. Then , like now, business was not perfecly consistent and this was how they kept busy.

Some were made this way to order. Dixon once had a fine Boyer target rifle with fine architecture, nicely finished, huge barrel. But with no buttplate and a brass strap T.G. The guy wanted the best to shoot over a log. Basic quality but nothing else. A frugal Dutchman no doubt.

WE do the same today.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
Some years ago I got to see a Boyer barn gun and probably the same Angstadt signed one shown above (is this the one that had the badly bent barrel?).  As I recall, the Angstadt one had a brass guard and an iron triggerplate and the Boyer gun had an iron guard and a brass triggerplate!

I was actually surprised that either had triggerplates.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline smshea

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 02:28:32 AM »
WHAT BILL SAID! I did not mean to imply that they were never made with old/used parts. Just that I think these were made this way by design and not put together by some Non-Gunsmith....these were likely sold just as you see them. I have seen a Boyer Schimmel with a normal brass guard.

Yes Stophel, This is that Angstat and you are correct about the plate being Iron and the strap being Brass. The barrel makes a mean right hand turn. :o   

grouchy

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:14 AM »
Thanks for posting the David Boyer schimmel pictures, I'm really enjoying them! Do you have any more to share? Does anyone have the dimensions, like drop, butt measurements, on the bottom gun?(top gun in the secoud picture) The light colored percussion gun. any info will be appreciated Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:17:42 AM by grouchy »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 04:26:23 AM »
Thanks Scott!! Perhaps these pictures and information should be put in the Library???
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
"D. Boyer"......this guy sure built a lot of guns, all of them seem rather klunky.   A friend of mine locally has a D. Boyer barn
gun.    For what it's worth, there seem to be more plain, or barn type guns, from the Berks - Lehigh area of Pa.   As for
Snyder county barn guns, I have probably built more than the old timers from this area.......Don

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
Is it a little hillier over in Lehigh and Berks?..More coal over there?? ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:38:12 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming