Author Topic: Philadelphia Screw Tip  (Read 5495 times)

Ahtuwisae

Philadelphia Screw Tip
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:49 AM »
Been playing around with this idea for quite some time.  Spent some time at Dixons and again at the CLA in Kentucky to get some particulars.  What you see here is the end result of my first attempt at a Philadelphia Screw Tip.  Page 126 of Grinslade's "Documents of History"  was the main reference for the project.

Base is 3" across
16 1/2 inches on the OC
14 inches on the IC
turned horn collar is 3/4" long
Turned horn tip is 2 1/2" long

Turned Base and hand carved spout plug are from maple.  the band at the base plug is a turned horn ring and the 4 wood pins go through the ring and into base plug.  Spout dyed with dk brown Rit, plug and stopper with magic maple.  the whole horn is antiqued with magic maple, black tempera paint and brown shoe polish.  the finish is hand rubbed finish wax. Staples are from hanger wire.  

The tip was made with the 3/4 hole saw with a 1/4" bit...which leaves a 5/8" shank.  This shank allows for a perfect 75% thread with a 5/8-11 NC die. The collar was drilled with a 17/32 bit and tapped with a 5/8-11 NC tap.

This horn has a nice right hand twist which makes for a beautiful left hand carry.  sits nice and close to the body.  Onto the pics:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:37:03 AM by Ahtuwisae »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Philadelphia Screw Tip
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
Very nicely done John.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:56:53 AM »
John; You should be very pleased with your first attempt at a Philadelphia Screw Tip. The entire package comes together nicely. Spot plug, horn shape, spout design, horn band, butt plug and especial the color. Thanks for sharing. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

smorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:26:34 AM »
Very nice work John.  I really like the color it came out.

Scott

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments.

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
Stunning. Do you have an idea of the pouch you will pair it with?
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »
Not yet.  may not have a pouch at all if someone takes a liking to it at the Carlisle show end of this month.  If I still have it when i come back from that I will work on a suitable pouch for it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:26:23 PM by Ahtuwisae »

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »
John, the compliments are well deserved and I'd like to add mine to the others. An exceptionally nice horn indeed. The threads ... "normal" tap and die process? Take care .. Bill

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »
John, the compliments are well deserved and I'd like to add mine to the others. An exceptionally nice horn indeed. The threads ... "normal" tap and die process? Take care .. Bill

Thank you...Yes normal tap and die process...5/8-11 NC.  You will also need a 17/32 drill bit.  Any shank to receive thread needs to be 5/8".  The bit and shank size allow for a 75% thread which is a pretty deep cut.  Go slow and if having trouble sometimes heating the horn in the hot oil makes it easier for me.

John
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:41:55 PM by Ahtuwisae »

omark

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
i havent tried threading a heated horn, bet it would help a lot. but i do use a little canola oil for lube and that helps, also. maybe ill try both next time. if i can remember. old memory isnt what it used to be.        mark

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »
 Great horn John, well done.

If you take the set out of the teeth on the hole saw it will leave you a little more meat to work with.

Tim C.

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
Great horn John, well done.

If you take the set out of the teeth on the hole saw it will leave you a little more meat to work with.

Tim C.

Thanks Tim... for the tip.  I was wondering how your shanks looked so much smoother than mine... ??? ;D

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 04:30:26 AM »
Thanks for the threading info, John. I'm going to give it a try! Take care .. Bill Hey