Author Topic: Landis Valley Exhibit of Lancaster Rifles begins in March, 2012  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:02:41 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Randall Steffy

Re: Landis Valley Exhibit of Lancaster Rifles begins in March, 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:01 AM »
Please be advised, the guest curators of this sensational longrifle exhibit allow NO photography. While this may not be an uncommon prohibition, I still feel somewhat robbed of one of the remaining intimate connections to "my" heritage. Do not touch is understandable, and visitors will comply with this rule as well, disheartening as it may be. So expect to leave Landis Valley with nothing more than your memories of these fine firearms.
Perhaps there will be a book published as a result of this nice collection of America's historic firearms of renown.
Oh, there is a book available at the exhibit:   

The LANCASTER LONG RIFLE by Patrick Hornberger & John Kolar.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:53:16 AM by Randall Steffy »

LehighBrad

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:50:38 AM »
The wife and I visited the Landis Valley exibit the second weekend it opened. The rifles were beautifully displayed in three big plexiglass cases where you can walk 360 degrees around them to view them from all angles. Not being allowed to photograph them WAS a real let down though. I suppose that fact is what compels a person to buy the book they have available in their nearby gift shop..."The Weathervane". Which I did and can say I'm glad I did!! Beautifully made hard cover book titled "The Lancaster Longrifle". LOTS of color photos of the featured rifles with descriptions and info on each one!! Even if I could've photographed the rifles that book was coming home with me also. Well worth the visit if you're wondering. I know I'll be back several times this summer since we only live about 50 minutes away.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
I cannot atend the exhibit but i did buy the book, which has left me in a real pickle.  ??? I can not decide which Lancaster I like the most to try to recreate?
Eric Smith

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:34:19 AM »
I cannot atend the exhibit but i did buy the book, which has left me in a real pickle.  ??? I can not decide which Lancaster I like the most to try to recreate?
The J. P. Beck fowler #21 really catches my eye, as does the Andreas Albrecht #7.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:36:47 AM by David Rase »

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »
Anyone in the ALR agreed to work in the gun shop during the time the year?
                                                       Roger Sells
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:10:37 AM by rsells »