Author Topic: squirrel hunting Ohio  (Read 3320 times)

Offline ohidan

squirrel hunting Ohio
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
Recently i,ve been doing a little bow hunting for whitetail deer with out much luck which i contribute it to being a little early in the season,so yesterday i decided i would go squirrel hunting for the first time with my 40cal. muzzle loader got two greys and missed one ,WHAT A BLAST! seen more deer than i'd seen all the time i'd spent in a tree stand so i think i'll continue the fun for the next week or two and burn some more black powder at the squirrels.
ohidan

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: squirrel hunting Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »
Our deer season (ML) starts 11/5 so that gives me only a little time to go out with my .36 or .40 after bushytails.  If I connect on a deer or two I may concentrate on tree rats from then on.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:22 AM »
Danny,
You need to try it with one of those Vincents! Take some time out on Saturday for the Newark show.
Mark
Mark

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
I always thought that early season squirrel hunting was consistent with  scouting for deer.
Gene

roundball

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:31:16 AM »
Once I know where I'm going to deer hunt, I say out of that area the month or two just before the season.

The best time I've found to scout an area is January/February...just a couple of nice mid-day walks looking for sheds, and with the all the leaves off the trees, the late season deer trails that got well worn into the leaves are easy to spot...easy to stand there and look back and forth and see the direction, connect the dots where they might have been traveling from and to...gives me a better indication of the actual deer travel that took place DURING the November/December season, AFTER the pre-season September/October food sources had ended.
Look around and make a mental note of a good place to throw together a natural blind in the summer and come back then.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 02:00:09 AM »
That would be a lot of snow shovelling, looking for sheds at that time of year around here.  The late spring when the snow is gone - maybe the end of April to mid May depending on the winter's snow fall would work for sheds, moose, elk or deer.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:00:47 AM by Daryl »