Author Topic: Samuel Lafayette Click  (Read 15486 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Samuel Lafayette Click
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
... Samuel Lafayette Click rifle recently come to attention by Chris Hirsch .... Please give  specs and comment Chris ........

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:12:04 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 01:36:48 AM »
The barrel is probably recycled from a much earlier gun.  It's swamped and there is a filled in dovetail where a tenon was.  It's about a .42 caL 

oakridge

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 02:37:55 AM »
It looks like a full-stock that was converted into a half-stock. That fore-end cap and the distance back to the entry pipe makes me think that. It just looks unusual for a half-stock.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 03:00:55 AM »
Nope, this one was made this way

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »
My Click rifle.  These photos are a little better.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:59:20 PM by cshirsch »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:55 AM »
Boy I wish I could see all the other photos. Very interesting history here.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline LynnC

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 05:44:16 PM »
Interesting late rifle. Thanks for fixing those photos that could be.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2020, 02:07:46 AM »
Here are some old photos of my Click rifle. Will try to take some better ones soon.

-Adam

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 05:47:26 AM »
There are so many differences between the two rifles, and so few points of similarity [except the S L C initials] it is hard for me to believe they are made by the same gunsmith. Stock architecture in particular is very different. When I can't see vestiges of one rifle in another, I begin to doubt they came from the same hand, despite the similar barrel initials. One looks like it could be a TN rifle, the other...not backwoods enough. Could there possibly be two gunsmiths with the same initials?  Shelby Gallien

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
Click was a blacksmith and a gun maker.  He worked in Northeastern Tennessee and southeastern Virginia. 

There are so many differences between the two rifles, and so few points of similarity [except the S L C initials] it is hard for me to believe they are made by the same gunsmith. Stock architecture in particular is very different. When I can't see vestiges of one rifle in another, I begin to doubt they came from the same hand, despite the similar barrel initials. One looks like it could be a TN rifle, the other...not backwoods enough. Could there possibly be two gunsmiths with the same initials?  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:14:27 AM by cshirsch »

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 03:22:56 AM »
Shelby,

I definitely agree that there are few similarities between the two rifles, however, I am certain that my rifle was made by Sam Click as I have seen another nearly identical rifle to mine that has direct family provenance.  Sam Click boarded with this SW Virginia family and made them a rifle in the 1890's.  That rifle is almost identical to the "not backwoods looking" rifle that I own.  I have noticed that extremely late rifles sometimes lose regional characteristics due to the availability of mass produced parts, changing styles etc.  I have seen this progression is several late era Tennessee gunsmiths that I study.  It is my opinion that Chris's rifle is a much earlier example of Sam Click's work. 

Offline MGillman

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2020, 09:18:47 PM »
I have a late Wythe County rifle that is signed by James Hedrick that has similar stock architecture to your Samuel Click rifle. I love the SWVA guns.

Shelby,

I definitely agree that there are few similarities between the two rifles, however, I am certain that my rifle was made by Sam Click as I have seen another nearly identical rifle to mine that has direct family provenance.  Sam Click boarded with this SW Virginia family and made them a rifle in the 1890's.  That rifle is almost identical to the "not backwoods looking" rifle that I own.  I have noticed that extremely late rifles sometimes lose regional characteristics due to the availability of mass produced parts, changing styles etc.  I have seen this progression is several late era Tennessee gunsmiths that I study.  It is my opinion that Chris's rifle is a much earlier example of Sam Click's work.