Author Topic: Re: FS- Squirrel Calls & Their Use  (Read 10814 times)

david50

Re: FS- Squirrel Calls & Their Use
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
i will send instructions with each call but here is how it works. these calls make a high pitched raspy whistle when blown. find a small leafy branch or a small sapling that you can shake the leaves on or just use your hat in the dry leaves. while shaking the branch or beating your hat in the leaves(to imitate beating wings) blow short sharp blasts on the whistle slowly lowering the volume,you are imitating the sound of a hawk or owl capturing a squirrel. most times they will bark giving away thier position,other times they will come running in your direction,and at other times you will be looking for a place to hide. i have had them come running,raising $#*! all the way and stoping just a few feet above my head and cuss me for everything but a squirrel hunter. i have used the bellows/bark type calls and have never called up a single squirrel. 75 percent of the squirrels i take i have called in with these whistles,they realy work.

MikeC

Re: FS- Squirrel Calls
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:21:34 AM »
Thanks Dave...Looking forward to trying it out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
Crazy question but do you use them on Gray, Red or Fox squirrel? Or does it matter?
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Thom

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
Not a crazy question at all. David is from Missouri so I would guess Fox and Red, but will it call both? We hunt Fox Squirrels here in Indiana, but there are a couple of nasty Red's I would like to eliminate in my backyard.

Thom

Macon Due

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:38 AM »
Guys
What is a 'red' squirrel? In my part of Missouri a red colored squirrel is a Fox? We also have greys and I hear about a few blacks too.
Macon

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:52 AM »
Fox and red are the same ....LP

msmith

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 03:08:05 AM »
Here we call a Red Squirrel a Fairy Diddle, it is a lil squirrel all red and is seen in pines alot.However some here call the small Flying Squirrel a Fairy Diddle also. The Fox Squirrel is large and  is usually red but can be black. The gray squirrel is smaller than the Fox Squirrel and here it is a lot smarter than the big lazy Fox Squirrel. People here don't hunt squirrels as much as when I was a kid,  the oldtimers always said to kill every red squirrel (fairy diddle) you could because they would kill  the Gray & Fox Squirrels in the most horrible way.  :o  and those was the squirrels you hunted to eat, with preference for the Gray.Well if not kill, make them wish they was dead. Anxious to use one of these calls, as the bellows type do not work here.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:29:32 AM by msmit »

david50

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:58 AM »
works on grey and fox squirrels. most times the greys just raise a lot of $#*!,the big fox squirrels will come looking for you. the greys will to on accasion but the fox are more prone to come lookin'.

all you guys that are buying these please come back and post your results or PM me,i would like to knoe how you do.

i only have one left but will be making about twenty more this week end.

Thom

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:51:37 AM »
I bet it would work work with all of them, maybe even that black squirrel I saw in PA one time. And I do agree with msmit, Grandad called them "Pineys"

Thom

Macon Due

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:06 AM »
David
I sent you a P.M. message with my address,hopefully you got it.I almost did not find your message,it was at the bottom of an old one...LOL. Anyhow money order will go out in morning.
Macon [Alan]

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 03:53:42 AM »
I've used one of these types of call for over twenty years.They work great and I wouldn't go squirrel hunting with out one.I hunt mostly grays around here.Our reds are little buggers not much biggers than a chipmunk.

Mitch

Horner75

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:40 AM »
Our game department here in Nebraska, tells us that the Black (pretty common) is only a color faze of the Red Fox squirrel and every once in a while you will see an albino or a combination of Black and Albino.   These should make a good Spring Turkey locator call too!

Rick
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:39:54 AM by Horner75 »

Bill

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:27 AM »
I thought that since they were made from pecan the squirrels just naturally assumed that you had brought some pecan nuts to the woods w/ you and were just calling them for a snack! Seriously, i want one. PM sent

david50

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
Our game department here in Nebraska, tells us that the Black (pretty common) is only a color faze of the Red Fox squirrel and every once in a while you will see an albino or a combination of Black and Albino.   These should make a good Spring Turkey locator call too!

Rick

never thought to use it as a turkey locater Rick,but i bet it would work.
yes the black squirrel is just a color faze of the Fox squirrel. have not shot one since i was a kid,it was completely black except for a red belly.

camerl2009

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »

Rick

never thought to use it as a turkey locater Rick,but i bet it would work.
yes the black squirrel is just a color faze of the Fox squirrel. have not shot one since i was a kid,it was completely black except for a red belly.

here in southern ont black squirrels are common but it seems thay stay black as i shot one that was real big and it was solid black

Horner75

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Yepper!...They stay black! ... Here is Omaha, I have at least one in my neighbourhood and see it almost daily.  Across the Missouri river in Council Bluffs, Iowa, they have a large population of them!

I think it is just genealogy, like people having different colors of hair etc.

Rick
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:05:01 PM by Horner75 »

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 07:23:03 PM »
I guess it depends on the location. In SouthWester Ontario - the black squirrels are just that - black squirrels - not a colour phase that I could see from 21year of living there and 11 years of shooting them.  The greys are greys as well. There is no such thing as a Fox Squirrel in the city of London, but there are thousands of black squirrels and grey squirrels.

msmith

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »
London Ontario, sounds like a squirrel hunters paradise. ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:08:29 PM by msmit »

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »
Well, not far from there. Shooting inside the city limits is frowned upon, by everyone. I hunted about 10 miles East of there - for 11 years, I guess, from age 10 to 21, when I left home for the West.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:03:24 AM by Daryl »

david50

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »
the first time i call and bring up the gun one had came out of a knothole but went back in. you have to listen close to hear them,video is not very good quality. it was cold and windy but i did manage to call up three. click on the link.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
David- have you tried 'chirping' into the call - short chirping blasts?  I used a call back in Ontario when I was a kid, that was incrdible for called them- the only way to describe it is to call it a chirper. squeek/squeek/squeek - worked great. I'd enter the squirrel bush, find a good spot to sit with my back against a tree, wait for the forest sounds to resume- birds, etc, the start chirping on the call - you could hear them coming through the treetops as well as 'splashing' through the leaves. What a blast. I think your call could/would work the same way.

54Bucks

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 12:09:08 AM »
 Here in Pa. the most common are grey squirrels. Some Northern Counties have black squirrels that are supposed to be just a color variation of the grey. We also have those nastly little red/piney squirrels that are really too small for hunting but are still the squirrel bullies. Then the largest is the fox squirrel which is a rusty brown/grey, and prefers the open pockets of large trees.

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »
to answer LB's quesiton in the selling forum about taste - this is my take, from memory.

Squirrels taste like squirrels - perhaps a mix between mild beef and bunny-wabbit-  iirc - been 40 years since I ate one so my memory is probably somewhat foggy. I used to shoot both black and grey squirrels. The greys were always larger and more aggressive in the farm bush I hunted - 3 separte farms.

My Dad used to clean out the freezer of game meat, now and then - any left over frozen 'cotton tail' rabbit, pheasant, grouse & squirrel and make a head-cheese out of them adding a bit of smoked ham and geletin. This was for his and my lunch sandwiches only, as Mom wouldn't touch them.  The other kids in my classes used to try to trade for my sandwiches every time I had just such a delecacy. It was probably my favourite of all game meats - the blend was most excellent.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 02:48:56 AM »
The few black squirrels I saw hunting in Western PA as a kid were mixed in with the populations of greys and were same size/habits.  We also encountered Fox squirrels which were larger than the blacks and greys, had a dark grey upper body and more orange lower and underbelly.  The Foxs were a lot like a grey fox in color which is why I assumed they were so named.  We also shot what we knew as Red squirrels but they were the little ones you are calling pineys.  Weren't worth the price of ammo or effort to skin as there wasn't much to eat on them, about two or three chipmunks worth.  Also got a few Albino greys, but very rare.  I don't think they fared well hiding from predators or hunters except in snow maybe.

In AZ now and we get the Aberts and Kaibab squirrels.  These were originally the same species except they have been separated by the Grand Canyon so long they have developed different color patterns.  The Kaibab is really pretty.  Both have tufted ears and are pretty close to the larger greys size wise.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:52:51 AM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline James

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 04:32:31 AM »
The blacks here in PA are definitely just a color phase of our grays. I have one hill where they are about 30-40% blacks, other areas on the farm I don't see blacks, only grays. There is a piece of woods where I grew up, a couple miles from here, where the blacks outnumber the grays. Funny stuff- genetics. 
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry