Author Topic: The Storm Horn  (Read 6713 times)

Ahtuwisae

The Storm Horn
« on: October 25, 2011, 04:10:34 AM »
First let me apologize for the lead in and many pics.  I did it to tell the story and show the detail on this horn.

This was a custom horn my art teacher from high school ordered from me last November.  I first started work on the horn back in march but projects and family took precedence for a bit.  She is giving it to her husband for their 42nd wedding anniversary on December 20th.  She wanted to incorporate as much of them as possible into the horn.  It took some time but the plan was to use elements from their house and two portraits of their dogs on the horn as well as their names and a marker for the 42 years together.

After some consultation...since i do not do portraits.... she decided on an F&I lobed horn so I convinced her to go with a more appropriate style of art.  what follows is the culmination of a lot of time and scratching....both my head and the horn.  i hope you all like the result.  i will be taking it to Carlisle, PA with me the end of this week so any attending can get a first hand look at it.

On to the specs.  The horn is 14 1/2 inches lobe to tip on the inside curve and 17 inches on the outside curve.  the base is 2 3/4 inches across and plugged with cherry using 4 wooden pins.  the stopper is also of cherry.  i used the Dk brown Just for men treatment on the throat and Rit dye for the body (Golden Yellow, tangerine and a pinch or two of dk brn). The whole horn was antiqued with Scott Sibley's walnut stain/black powdered tempera paint treatment then a coat of beeswax and buffed to a shine. 

OK...on to the pics...Enjoy and critique away!!

The horn as it was back in March

Two reference pictures of the fence around her house.  you will see elements of it in the borders.

As it is now

Now you will see some fence elements along with English ivy which grows all around her house and I used it as filler

Now the dogs which we worked into a crest of sorts with their names.

For the outside curve...A cartouche with 42 years (of marriage) and the gate to the fence and finally their front door.

For the top border...more fence elements and MUNCY PENNA for muncy pennsylvania, their hometown for all of their lives.

Finally...whew!!  The throat treatment...CV engrailing then round to two raised rings and flats for the front.

YES...THIS IS THE END!!!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: The Storm Horn
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:19:24 AM »
OH WOW, he is one lucky guy.  Smylee

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:55:12 AM »
I believe the person who commissioned the project and the recipient of such a gift will be as I am at this point speechless. Workmanship and interpretation outstanding. Thanks for sharing. AJ   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline bigbat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:49:22 AM »
very nice, very interesting and a neat way to intermingle the old with the new.  Reminds me of a horn we did with Obama, Michelle, Biden, Dodd and Frank several years ago.

Scott Sibley

billd

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
WOW!!   Great work.   I wonder what kind of discussions that will cause 250 years from now.   ;D

Bill

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
STANDING OVATION.  B. E. A. UTIFUL OUTSTANDING

RICH

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »
Thank you all for the nice comments.  Scott...that sounds like an intersting horn...would love to se a pic or two..

John

omark

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
very nice, very interesting and a neat way to intermingle the old with the new.  Reminds me of a horn we did with Obama, Michelle, Biden, Dodd and Frank several years ago.

Scott Sibley

if you have pics, i would love to see it, too.     mark

Offline bigbat

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »
I dont have pictures, but I can tell you it was not flattering to any of the "characters" or the events it portrayed.  A Proff from a big Universtiy bought it and sent it back as it was too controverial for him.  I had several other takers who shared my views. ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
  If there ever was a WOW! horn that is it. Great design and layout, it just seems to keep going.

Tim C.

PS: Nice choice of horn.TC
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:33:01 AM by Tim Crosby »

Martyman

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
AMAZING!

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:17 AM »
My only advice would be to keep working at it and one day you'll succeed at creating a good horn .. NOT!!! What an amazing display of an even more amazing talent. Thanks for sharing .. amazing .. simply amazing. Take care .. Bill

Offline draken

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 05:50:52 AM »
All I can say is BEAUTIFUL................JUST SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL! :) :)
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Downeastboy

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
STUNNING!   

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
Beautiful

Let me know when you start taking orders.

Very nice
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

bonron

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
UNBELIEVABLE!!!   I dabble in horn making. Your work of art makes me want to never pickup my horn tools again. This can't be topped!!!!! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful specimen. I'm sure it will be cherished.    Ron

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
I hate to just repeat words already used, but honestly ..... WOW is about all that comes to mind.

Outstanding!   (yes, I know that's been used as well)
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 04:40:59 AM »
The great treatment of all those personal elements will make this a treasured heirloom.    You have made them very happy and given a fitting tribute to a great accomplishment.  Well done.
Jeff