Author Topic: Found three more rifles  (Read 5426 times)

leatherman

Found three more rifles
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:50 AM »
Found a collection of 8 rifles today the guy is wanting to sell. Only three are worth mentioning as the other 5 are wall hangers for most part from their condition and the late percussion time frame they were made. Here are pictures of a Bedford rifle , no signature, with crude incised carving that to me is queastionable as if it were by the same hand as the maker. 38" barrel about a 45 caliber, lock plate looks like it was always a percussion lock. There is a document that states this rifle belonged to a certain judge in Bedford county who was born in 1825 and died in 1910. I dont know if this would attribute to any value to this rifle or not? There are two other percussion rifles that look very much alike except in the lock mortise , one is rounded more than the other but other than that they look like they were made by the same maker. One is signed John Fry , Ligonier. Overall they are in good condition. Now the queastion, how much are they worth? Anyone interested?
http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/zz206/Leatherman2/Longrifles/November%202011/

john schippers

Re: Found three more rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:02:19 AM »
the guns look good. I don't know what the value of this type of gun is worth but I would be interested in them when you find out. J.S.

leatherman

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
Will do John, maybe take a trade on some ingraving or some of your upcoming books.

leatherman

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »
I have gotten some advise the one rifle may be a Somerset rifle, not a Bedford and is similar to Dunmyers work. Any one have any thoughts?

Offline nord

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
Per Dr. Whisker...

Assure this man that it is indeed a Jonathan Dunmyer

Jim
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »
I really like the condition of this rifle.  It has nice lines and incised carving.  Curious what the
value assessment will be.  Very nice.  Early Dunmyer per Dr. Whisker.  I would imagine if that
judge has descendants, there would definitely be added value.  I'd check out the history there.
It could be interesting. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Bull Schmitt

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:59:57 AM »
Tell me about the "wall hangers".

GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »
Is it just me or is there a huge amount of drop in that rifle? I can't imagine shooting it unless it is just a bad angle on the picture. Jack

john schippers

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:39:31 AM »
I will always trade for engraving, You can get the book at the NMLRA store.

leatherman

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 03:06:01 AM »
The wall hangers I refered to consisted of two 20 gauge back action smooth bores ,one has a brass plate repair around the breech area,  a Lehman rifle that had been shortened to about 30" and had a cast patchbox added at some time, and then there were two plain percussion rifles of very late period and very poor condition. I am sorry now I did not take pictures of them too since there has been so much interest in them as well. I will know better next time. I was rushed by the owner as he was wanting to leave . And yes there is that much drop in the stock. This guy does not want to part out the collection and wants way too much as far as I am concerned but I dont know what the Dunmyer is worth and is the best gun of the bunch. I may give him an offer if I have a good enough  offer on the three guns I have posted pictures here.

Bull Schmitt

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 06:03:04 AM »
Thanks