Author Topic: Hoppe's 9 Plus as Patch Lube  (Read 38564 times)

Kaintuckkee

Hoppe's 9 Plus as Patch Lube
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »
Since I am about out of LHV patch lube I am thinking about trying the Hoppe's #9 Plus as patch lube for target shooting,any info on the product is appreciated as far as how it works and shoots. thanks

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Hoppe's 9 Plus as Patch Lube
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
Since I ran low on LHV I have been using #9 + in my .50 an .54 rifles with very good results.  I have a small round brass box I put my patches in and saturate with the Hoppes 9 +.  I put a few drops in between every couple of patches and let them soak.  I do not wipe between shots, just load and go!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
around here Hoppes9+ is as rare as LHV lube...where do ya'll find it?  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:38:00 PM by Mike R »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
The Midway web page had it on clearance with a little blurb on it that stated "Discontinued by Manufacturer" don't know if that mean the container size or the product. But for all you "9+" users you may want to stock up.

54Bucks

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »
 I like it for rangework also. Unfortunately it can't be left in a gun for an extended period or rust will develope.

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
I used it until I  ran out and couldn't find any in the local big box stores. Tried 20/20 windshield washer fluid and it works great maybe better accuracy than the Hoppes!!! It's also cheaper and much easier to find. Try it you might like it. Frank

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
Since I am about out of LHV patch lube I am thinking about trying the Hoppe's #9 Plus as patch lube for target shooting,any info on the product is appreciated as far as how it works and shoots. thanks
I did the same with Hoppe's 9 Plus when I ran out of LHV - had terrific  performance - virtualy the same as with LHV. I've now got some Shenendoah lube that seems the same as LHV- so far. Like LHV and Hoppe's it is slicker than the water based lubes I was also using and therefore demands more powder be use to produce the accuracy I demand.  This is up to 20gr. MORE powder than when using WWWF and oil. It happens in both the .40 and .45 rifles.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
Hoppes is my favorite and I would certainly miss it.  A good back up is DGWs "Black Solve".   It's water based, however, and will dry out just like spit lube.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 04:14:34 AM »
Hoppes #9+ is all I use now.  I don't hunt anymore, so it's all range use & it works great!  Our black powder club puts on a meet & greet every fall at a local event & we let folks who've never tried black powder shoot our rifles as well as give them some history on flintlocks etc..  Everyone has a lot of fun & over 120 shots were fired from my rifle over the course of the day using 70 gr 3f GOEX a .495 ball & an 0.018" denim patch with no wiping at all til I packed up to leave at 4 PM!  Not once was there any buildup of fouling in the bore.  Hoppes #9+ is fantastic lube!

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
Harry's post is vitally important, folks. Note - 120 shots in one day no wiping therefore no buildup of fouling - that means the last shot of the day loaded exactly the same as the first - easy. Note the patch thickness and ball size. Yes, lube is important, but more volume than exact nature or composition as straight water or spit has the same effect. In my guns, the .018" measured by a mic, is perfectly capable of heavy loads of 2F as well.  For heavy loads of 3f, I use heavier (thicker) patching.

Those who can feel different fouling from 2F to 3F, either have rough, slightly pitted barrels (perhaps from Pyrodex) that are holding fouling OR they are using too thin a patch, OR too small a ball for their barrel.  When I measure the store bought patches, I find the sizes marked are .003" to .005" thinner than what my 4 different measuring tools tell me the patches measure. I use 3 different sets of calipers and a mic.

A ball and patch fit that is allowing fouling to accumulate, is  weak fit that can easily be remedied. This 'weak' fit, which allows successive shot's fouling to accumulate, makes successive loading difficult. An almost good enough fit will allow up to 10 shots or so, then require a wiping. Sometimes this type of load merely needs more lube - ie: wetter patch - but generally needs a thicker patch as well.

Except for the .32 squirrel rifle, my rifles can bounce back and forth between 3f and 2F with no discenable difference in fouling, even though they all require at least 10gr. more 2f to get the same accuracy. By no discernable difference, I mean you cannot tell the difference in powders as they both load identically, shot after shot, as the first shot loaded in the clean barrel.

It is possible a lube that remains to build up in the bore, as I'm told some salve-type geases do, ie: bore butter, that the buildup in the bore might be giving problems. To me, that is a moot point of contention (or acceptance) as those lubes are not suitable black powder lubes at all imho - or they would not build up in the bore, they'd remain wet to soften the fouling, not build up in the grooves as an inert substance.

note - in this case - inert - having only a limited ability to react chemically ---or ---- inactive or lifeless

Hoppe's 9 Pluss has been a good lube for shooting since my first trial with it in the 70's. Yes, it has changed somewhat, not as thick and no longer creamy whitish, but it still works well. In Taylor's 5 day test during the winter, into the house every day, then back outside into freezing weather the next, there was NO rusting and no fouling of the powder. 
This is is not to say that it would not have rusted the 6th day - but for 5 - it was OK - here in PG ie: low humidity - but frosted and went dripping wet each time it went into the house.

david50

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
about a year ago i got four quart bottles of Hoppes #9 plus off of e-bay for nine bucks each ;D pretty much all i use now except when hunting in the winter then it's back to straight mink oil. the most i have shot without wiping with the Hoppes is probably around 25 shots,but i'm sure i could have gone on much longer. easy clean-up with generic Windex and a few patches.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
Hoppes is my favorite and I would certainly miss it.  A good back up is DGWs "Black Solve".   It's water based, however, and will dry out just like spit lube.

I tried to send you a pm but it got bounced.

Regarding Black Solve.
You might want to look at WalMart Simple Green.
The explanation is too long for a board message.

E. Ogre

Offline The Original Griz

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
I tried to order from that site and the order was cancelled due to the product not being available.

quickdraw58

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
 Anyone looking for Hoppe's 9 plus Midway USA has it. I'v got some on the way
  Wayne

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
I tried to order from that site and the order was cancelled due to the product not being available.

oppss, I didn't go that far. I just took a peek to see if it came up and not say out of stock... That is strange.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
I talked to the local gun shop yesterday afternoon, He said it was still available, I had him order some for me. He will call it in tomorrow, I'll let you know what he finds out.
Thomas Jefferson

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »

The Midway web page had it on clearance with a little blurb on it that stated "Discontinued by Manufacturer" don't know if that mean the container size or the product. But for all you "9+" users you may want to stock up.

Do you have a link?
I searched on at MidwayUSA.....plus the Hoppe's site itself and didn't see anything like that 
   ???

It was from Swjquirrelhart's post earlier
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/899505/hoppes-9-plus-black-powder-bore-cleaning-solvent-and-patch-lubricant-quart-liquid

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
How does the Hoppes 9+ compare to Ballustol?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
All this is good and fine; but for me I'll stick with spit since I usually have some ::)  Then bear oil for below freezing loading and shooting. :)

Harnic

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »

When I'm talking about using Hoppe's No.9 PLUS BP Solvent & Patch Lube, this is what I'm referring to...their thick almost syrup like semi-liquid with good lubricity, and you can just shoot forever without wiping between shots.

That's the stuff rb!  It is a great lube for sure!  It takes a while to soak a stack of patches, but I've never found a better lube.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
I bought a gallon can of it a couple of years ago and still have about half left.  Unlike the old formula you have to shake it before use which is no problem at all.  I'd be hurting without it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 02:53:27 AM »
Interesting- I've used Hoppe"s #9 Plus off and on for almost 40 years and have never had to wipe the bore while using it.  I suspect I might have been using the "old thin stuff" as I've never used the new, thick like syrup 'stuff'.

The old Hoppe's #9 PLUS loaded just fine - no wiping - ever- just like plain water or spit- slippery like LHV.

This is all we've ever used - never any fouling buildup for an entire day's shooting.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:56:27 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 04:18:37 AM »
On the other hand, Taylor tested the "Old" Hoppe's # 9 Plus as a long-standing hunting lube - 5 days loaded - didn't migrate into the powder form the patch and didn't rust the bore. Was done in the Winter time - inside during the day - with all the condensation from sitting outside overnight down to -20. No rust, no solvent fouled powder & no over powder wad nor barrier was used.

So - bottom line is for 5 days the thin stuff worked as a hunting lube - for him.  It's a moot point as it's not available here in PG anyway.