General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

buck n' ball gun questions

(1/3) > >>

DarryH:
I am looking around at buck n' ball guns. I am thinking a long gun,
smooth bore, only a front sight, and flintlock.
A Fusil might be in order here. I want a reproduction of original guns.

I need to have a gun with pretty readily available accessories.
I want to be able to order, wads and such with little difficulty in finding what I need.

What caliber/gauge guns do you suggest ???????????????//

Where are good sources to find these guns??????????
My price range has to be $800 to $1200 for just the gun.

All help will be greatly appeciated.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska

Roger Fisher:
I do believe that most folks would ask you what useage??

Shooting r ball in matches or used as a fowler or small game gun?

You mentioned buck and ball gun!  If you meant it I would suggest a 20 gauge since that is a common gauge and there are more of them around.

Shootin at game you don't notice the recoil; but in shootin matches if you are kinda on the slim side you could develop a nice flinch ::)

Mine are/is a 28 gauge for r ball shootin.  heavier barrel wall (good in the breezes)
less recoil on my bony bod less powder and ball also!

Just my instant response! :)

Ezra:
What would the use be?  Surely not target shooting!!! :o  If it's for hunting things with fur, 28 gauge and up would be appropriate.  Wads et al can be had at Track of the wolf.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(5f24nx45fgv5vcfdjfqeoz55))/index.aspx

As far as where to get the firearm at your prices...you may try Track for starters.  Maybe someone here.

Ez

Daryl:
You may be 'thinking' only about long guns, but these two pistols make fantastic buck and ball guns. At 12 yards, the 'pattern' is roughly 10" in diameter with the 'buckshot' hitting radially around the larger central ball hole. The ornate pistol is .58, while the darker one is .54.  Only the .54 is rifled- makes no difference at spittin' distances.

northmn:
Buck and Ball was a military load.  It makes the most sense in a long gun using a big bore such as a 12 ga.  A Brown Bess makes the most sense.  The buckshot should form an even circle over the ball.  To do so with a 20 would require the use of a smaller size buck like #3, a 12 or above can use 0 or oo.  Dpends on your use.

DP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version