Author Topic: What is the dimension of your Adjustable Powder Measure  (Read 3473 times)

Online M Tornichio

What is the dimension of your Adjustable Powder Measure
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:13 PM »
I have a question for everyone. I was making an antler powder measure the other day and decided to check on the amount of powder it would  pour. Well it happens that I have two seperate powder measures. Both are brass and adjustable. 1 has a swing top funnel. I dumped the powder from the antler into the measure with the top. It read 50 grains. Just for the heck of it. I repeated the measure and poured it into the measure with out the funnel top. It read 40 grains. I used a platic funnel for dumping the powder from the antler into each measure. This is the first time that I noticed. The funnel fit tighter in one of the adjustable measures.
so what I am getting at here is which is correct. Is there a standard size for the inside diameter of the barrel of the measure? Also how long is the 5 grain increments on the sliding part. Not sure if this makes since or not.
But what I realize is that 80 grains of powder measure in my new adjustable measure shot really well, but would only measure 70 grains in the other.
Thanks for your help.
Marc

Offline 490roundball

Re: What is the dimension of your Adjustable Powder Measure
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:45:45 PM »
I have one adjustable - no funnel starts at 50, and I think adds 10 grains per stop- old when I got it, and some antler measures I drilled- when I got or made each I checked them with a scale for average - the adjustable is about dead on.  - a scale is the only real way to check it out.  I would guess you would see some variation between manufactuers and also between grades of powder, since they are really just volume measures, not truly the weight in grains.

some place I have a note that a certain number drill bit gives I think it was 10 grains per 1/4 inch - I'll have to dig that out.  I used it as a starting point for the antler ones, and it worked well.

Rick

PS - Marc - know I didn't really answer the question - I'll have to dig the brass one out of where ever it is an check the size.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:51:07 PM by Rick Losey »
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »
The fact that one adjustable measure doesn't measure the same as another adjustable measure has been known and discussed by shooters many times in the past. Your experience is not much different than others have had in the past. Adjustable measures just don't measure powder in the same amounts. To solve this problem of different measures throwing varying charges when set to the same mark on the measure, just use one measure when you work up a load for your rifle and then use that same measure when shooting that rifle. Any measure may be 5-10 grains off from what another measure throws, but that is not important as long as the rifle is sighted in with a certain measure and then used with that rifle when shooting. In other words, it is actually the amount of powder in a measure set at a certain mark rather than what the mark on the side of the measure tells you.

When making a non-adjustable measure for a rifle use the adjustable measure that you used to sight in the rifle to establish how much powder the non-adjustable should hold.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:16 AM »
 I use an adjustable measure to throw 'stricken' measures when working up a load.  I then weigh what the measure throws when set at the 'best' load and record the weight.  I then make up an antler or brass measure which throws that same amount of powder - by volume.  I find an internal diameter no larger than about .450", to throw very consistant 'weights' of powder. The larger the 'bore',t he more variation, thrown load to thrown load.

You cannot trust the markings on any powder measure. They are approximations only and differ depending on the granulation of powder used.  A given measure will usually throw a few grs. more 3F than 2F, but that depends on the particualr powder's specific gravity, moisture content, etc.  How you pour the powder into the measure also can make a big difference in the amount of powder 'thrown'.

It is best to have a handloading powder scale so you can wiegh what your measure actually throws and record that amount. Lose a measure and you can check, then make a new one that throws the same amount. Variation as close as 1/2gr. high to low thrown measures of powder is practical with a measure as noted, not larger than .40" to .45" in inside diameter and whatever length it has to be.

Online M Tornichio

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. One of the main reasons that I was asking is because. I wanted to sell some of these measures. If I told a perspective buyer that the measure would throw 40 grains and there measure was like my other, I would be 10 grains off. Which would 25 percent in this case.
I will just give a range, when I sell.
Thanks again.