Author Topic: Who made this rifle?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
Who made this rifle?
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:50:06 AM »
I bought this rifle some time ago and I am at a total loss as to who might have made it or even where it might have been made.  The flintlock is an obvious replacement but I think is was originally a flintlock.  I would appreciate any thoughts that you might have about who made it or where it might have been made.

Rich

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:25:11 AM by Rich N. »

Offline Don Getz

Re: Who made this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:07 AM »
Unusual gun Rich.   Sure has a lot of Upper Susquehanna feeling to it, but who?   In looking at the initials, one can see
" J  L", which might be correct, but not for Joe Long.   I would say the side plate is a replacement, also has a strange
entry pipe.  Did you get it locally?.........Don

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:45:34 AM »
Don,

I bought the rifle at a sale in Lancaster Co., and the auctioneer also thought that it had some upper Susquehanna features.  I liked the gun for a variety of reasons and thought that it might keep me occupied in researching its origins.  The moon on the cheek piece has the date "1811" engraved on it, and that may or may not be original, but I would guess the rifle probably dates somewhere in that period.  The incised carving is very nice, and I was especially attracted to the engraving on the barrel.  I have seen engraving of this type on a few guns produced in the Snyder/Union County region, but overall, it doesn't "feel" like any other rifle I've seen or held from that area.  I was hoping that the unusual patchbox together with the carving and engraving on the barrel would be features that members of this group might recognize and suggest the region where they think if might have originated.  While I wouldn't rule out the upper Susquehanna as the area of origin, it is possible that it was made in another region as well.

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:17:26 AM »
Looks like a Laudenslager to this untrained eye.  But could it be signed "SS" or "SL"?

Offline Loudy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:29:49 AM »
Rich,

Thanks for sharing photos of this interesting gun.  I have no idea who might of made it.  I can tell you it not like any Laudenslager gun I've ever had a chance to see.  To me, the engraved initials look like "SS".  Samuel St. Clair signed some guns "SS" like that, but this doesn't look like one of his guns.  I'm hoping someone here has seen incised carving or a patchbox like yours on a signed gun somewhere.

Good luck,
Mark