Author Topic: Longrifle Gun Safes  (Read 10185 times)

Gulfman

Longrifle Gun Safes
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
I have limited space for a fireproof safe for longrifles.  The space that I have is 39" wide by 22" deep.  I am hoping somebody in the forum has some suggestions for this question.  I need one that will accommodate at least 12 or more longrifles.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:26:12 PM by Gulfman »

Offline gibster

Re: Longrilfe Gun Safes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
I bought a safe this past summer from Academy Sports that is made by Cannon that measures 36(W) x 22(D) x 72(H). Normally, it sells for $999.00 but they had $100.00 off for some reason, I didn't argue.  It is set up to hold 30 long guns.  Seems to be a pretty good safe for the money.  You can view it on their web site.  If you don't have an Academy Sports close to you, they do ship but I have no idea what the cost would be.

union son

Re: Longrifle Gun Safes
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »
I used to sell and service safes for a living. The last suggestion you received was good. Cannon makes good quality units and $999 is cheap for a decent gun safe. If you like, PM me and tell me what region of the country you are in. I can locate someone to custom build anything you want or I can put you in touch with a reputable dealer to get you a standard line unit.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
Gibster, could you give the model number of your tall safe? I can't find it on the Cannon website. Thanks, Bob

Offline gibster

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »
Bob, If you go to Academy Sports and Outdoors web site, you can do a search of their safes.  The item number is AE35 and the sku is 0013795539.  For what it is worth, I have no affiliation with Academy Sports.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
That Cannon looks to be pretty good for the price. Can all that junk inside be easily removed? They make a nice big safe and then limit how many LONG guns can be stored in it by putting in all those shelves. Grrrrr.

My (next) retirement house is going to have a built-in dedicated and secure "fireproof" closet for storage of my guns.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:31:50 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Gibster, The specs fail to give INSIDE height, can you measure yours? Thanks, Ed

P.S The website says FREE SHIPPING over $60..... Hmmmmm
Ed Hamberg

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
Thank you for the information about safes. As many of the safes are only warranted for an hour or so in fire and can be forcibly opened, it brought to mind insurance as well which can be equally important. A "personal Fine arts, all risk policy" , often thought by many to be very expensive, can now be bought relatively cheaply. I utilize CHUBB insurance ( no interest in the company) and they do not require a formal appraisal for items worth less than $50,000. There are probably others.
Hurricane

Offline gibster

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
Inside specs for my safe are: 18(D) x 34 1/2(W) x 68 1/2(H).  It comes with shelving to configure it a couple of different ways.  I have mine configured for the max amount of guns (30). Don't have that many, but I can always dream ;D.  We have a store locally, so I just picked mine up.  I would double check on the shipping.  If it is free, it would be hard to beat.  I know one thing, it is VERY HEAVY, so if you get one, pick your spot ahead of time and get some help moving it.  It can also be bolted to the floor for additional security.

Gulfman

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I live in Florida and we have limited space here - no basements.  You have to configure everything for your home which leaves lots of things on shelving in the garage.  I also appreciate the information on the insurance.  The longrifles are fine art and they should be cared for and appreciated as a unique art form.  Thanks.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:18:34 AM by Gulfman »

Berks Liberty

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Saw the post here and wanted to add that Tractor Supply Company (TSC) around me carries Cannon Safes.  $1,299 for the bigger model which has an inner height of 70.5 inches and the $999 model has the 58.5 inch inner height.  Nice safes! 

Jason

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
Another gun safe question. I have a crawl space under my house, and plan to put a pretty heavy safe in my master bedroom closet. I was thinking some extra bracing of the floor joists might be a good idea.

Anybody have any experience in this area as to what materials to use for maximum support.

union son

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
That's never a bad idea, in my opinion. You can level out and pack the soil to lay pieces of pressure treated 2x10's for a "foundation" and put screw jacks between them and the joists. It's a pain to crawl under there and do that, but it can save a huge headache later. Over the years, you may find it necessary to adjust the jacks as the 2x10's settle.

I would have to say that it may not be necessary at all, depending the strength of the floor and the weight of the safe.