Author Topic: New pistol on the contemporary blog site.  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
New pistol on the contemporary blog site.
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:10 PM »
There is a beautiful pistol by Judd Brennan on the contemporary blog site.
Everything but the barrel is hand made. Does anyone know the size and make of the barrel used?

Best regards

Rolfkt
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:39:31 PM by Rolfkt »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: New pistol on the contemporary blog site.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
Yep, nice pistol. I like the British styled fowler by Rich McDonald even better!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

don getz

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:41:35 AM »
Yes, Rich did a nice job on that fowler, but, you tell me...what's wrong with it"   This is a little quiz....can you spot anything wrong with it....architecturally ?    Don

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »
Don, The only thing I see is that I'm not sure what makes it a British styled fowler. Details, including the lock and carving look more Germanic to me.

don getz

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
Nope.....................Don

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
Don,
Is it that the lock and barrel should have been move back slightly. The wrist section coming off the back of the barrel looks elongated before droping down to the wrist. In reality it is an American fowler with some English influence in the butt stock. The carving  is more dutch or Hudson valley looking to my eye any way.
Dave Blaisdell

don getz

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »
Dave....you have found what I thought I also saw.  If you look at the first picture of the fowler, look where the tail of
the lock falls, vertically, within the wrist.    Whenever a gun is built like this, you will find yourself "reaching" for the trigger.
To eliminate this, the stock should start it's downward curve thru the wrist right at the breech end of the barrel.  I must
admit, this is a small picky thing, the overall fit and finish of the gun looks great.........Don

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »
Rolfkt,
Sorry we hijacked your thread.
I don't know this for sure but I do know that Jud has John Getz make some of his rifle barrels. He was always getting barrels from John when I was still attending the CLA shows. This pistol barrel looks pretty slender and would guess it to be .50 or even .45 cal. Did any one see it at the CLA show this last go round?
Jud is fully capable of making his own barrels as well so it could be one of his own.
Dave Blaisdell