Author Topic: Zettler from NY  (Read 3147 times)

cobracoach

Zettler from NY
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »
Forum,
  I just came to posses a shuetzen roundball rifle. The stock has a badge from a man named Hytower 1937. I believe he restocked the rifle because it looks very amateurish. The gun has all silver mounts and there is a lock bolt badge marked "Zettler NY 1850". The barrel also has -Zettler NY-. It has a Patent breech and when I took it apart there was a 79 stamped on the end of the barrel. The bore is pristine, .500 groove dia with 6 lands. I`d post pics but the stock really is bad. I`d like to restock the gun but am wondering if anyone would have pics of a similar zettler rifle so I could see what it may have looked like originally. Any help would be appreciated.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:56:26 PM by cobracoach »

westerner

Re: Zettler from NY
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »
http://www.pbase.com/halp/zetter_bros

There are several nice Zettler Bro percussion schuetzen rifles in the book titled ( American Percussion Schuetzen Rifles)

Might google Zettler rifles in google images. 

Are you sure your rifle is a round ball rifle?   Could be a gain twist made for picket bullets. I was fooled a few times when checking twists.  Could have been rebored at some time also.  Wasnt unusual for them to be rebored for round balls. 

Joe.  :)

cobracoach

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
 :o, OMG,
   The lower rifle with the orange finish on the buttplate is MY rifle! Notice the distance the foreend goes foward? It practically covers the 1st ramrod pipe. Would anyone disagree that the stock does not look original? The poorly inlet nameplate on the right side, the fit of the top of the buttplate? I was told the previous owner got this gun in 1970-72 from a shotgun news ad. Do these pictures look that old to anyone?
   Westerner, thanks so much for the info. BTW, as far as I can tell it is not a gain twist barrel. I assumed it had been recut somewhere along the line. 

Offline awol

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
I can get you some photos of a scheutzen rifle signed "Zettler", but it will be a while as I'm having problems with both camera & computer.  This rifle has the original stock I'm sure. 

I believe this Zettler was located in New York City.

cobracoach

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
arw,
   Would love to see them if you could make it happen!