Author Topic: Enoch Enochs, Sr.; gunsmith?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Enoch Enochs, Sr.; gunsmith?
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
Has anyone heard of Enoch Enochs, Sr as a gunsmith or know of any guns by him? He is an ancestor of mine. He and his family were early settlers in Ohio. I am wondering if he was really a gunsmith or simply could work on guns as “a man of great ingenuity" in times of need.

“Enoch Enochs, Sr., was somewhat noted as a hunter. He was a man of great ingenuity, especially as a gunsmith. He also made bedsteads and other kinds of furniture.”

L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Enoch Enochs, Sr.
B 29 Sep 1750 Hampshire County, VA
D 1835 Noble County, Ohio
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:18:57 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

msmith

Re: Enoch Enochs, Sr.; gunsmith?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:15:11 AM »
Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen Volume III page 49.

Knittle ( 1949) referred to a Enoch Enochs as a gunpowder maker in Brooksfield Twp. Knox County . The entry is wrong: The mans name  was Elisha Enochs of Stock Twp. , Monroe County- becoming Noble County in 1851. see entry for Noble County.

Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen volume IV page 55 (Noble County)

1806, the  Enochs family ,consisting of Father Enoch,and sons Elisha,Henry,Enoch JR and Jesse,settled on Duck Creek,near Berne (then called Carlisle) in present day Stock  Twp.. Elisha Enochs manufactured gunpowder in a small way,doing all the work by hand and settlers came from miles around to purchase it ( Watkins, History of Noble County page 440-41).

Elisha Enochs was noted in the US census of 1820, Union Twp. <Monroe County 1830.Monroe County 1850.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:17:46 AM by msmit »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Enoch Enochs, Sr.; gunsmith?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »
Thanks. I suspect that he was not really a gunsmith but simply someone who was handy enough to work on a gun when necessary but figured I'd check. 
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana