Author Topic: Engraving Book Recommendations?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline jlutz

• Starting Member
Engraving Book Recommendations?
« on: July 20, 2022, 05:42:59 AM »
I’m starting to learn to engrave, with an intention of engraving flintlocks someday. I have Schipper’s book. I’m curious if there are other books that members here would recommend? They don’t have to focus on engraving muzzleloaders per se (though it’s ok if they do!), any book that shows good examples of engravings on muzzleloaders would also be helpful. Thanks for any suggestions!

Online Frozen Run

Re: Engraving Book Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 10:42:01 AM »
KRA dvds:

https://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/

Books are fine, but the KRA dvds are above and beyond a better investment. Better pictures, higher resolution, more images per gun, more angles, you can enlarge the images, zoom in, project them onto a wall and trace them, countless things. 

Also, search this forum, the amount of information and images here is astounding.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:47:18 AM by Frozen Run »

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 02:33:46 AM »
For pure eye candy " Steel Canvas" has engraving on all sorts of weapons.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jlutz

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 04:26:05 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 07:55:40 AM »
Schipper's book is great, and DVD's are fine, but nothing compares to taking a class to get familiar with how to sharpen a graver and learn some basics.  It gives you a foundation to "learn how to learn".

Just my 2 cents worth! 

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline jlutz

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »
Thanks Curtis. I’ve actually been in an engraving class all week and am looking for sources of traditional designs to practice in the future. You’re right though, there’s no substitute for learning hands on from a good instructor.

Offline Van

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 03:49:01 PM »
  I have "The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek.  Got it from Brownell's a few years ago.  It has a lot of information on gravers and technique as well as designs.  Not much on black powder guns but the use of the tools is the same. A lot of pictures of beautiful work.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 05:28:57 PM »
Dover Pubications has a number of reasonably priced books on ornament and design.  I've got 15 or 20 of them.  They contain 1000's of pictures from which you can extract elements to incorporate into your work.  Florid Victorian Scrolls is one that is often recommended.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »
Thanks Curtis. I’ve actually been in an engraving class all week and am looking for sources of traditional designs to practice in the future. You’re right though, there’s no substitute for learning hands on from a good instructor.

Out of curiosity, who's class are you taking? Is this a traditional sort of class with hammer and graver or are you using a pneumatic tool?

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 08:23:28 PM »
If you want your guns to look right, get the Hershel House videos, or the Jack Brooks videos. If you get the engraving books you will wind up with a longrifle that is way overdone and looks like a rodeo buckle. Good basic engraving is about as good as you could get on a longrifle. There were a couple of gunsmiths with superior skills, but they were not the norm. Some gunsmiths from the period were notorious for they’re poor engraving like Dickert.

Hungry Horse

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 10:18:35 PM »
          That would all depend on what period and person you are trying to emulate.   The idea that most of the original makers were hacks when it comes to engraving just ain't so.  Obviously in the early period there were some high end guns that were done by European trained engravers.  The norm was not this level of competence.  As things progressed into the "Golden Age" you will run into some very acconplished engravers.  Western PA engravers like Allison, Fleeger, McCocsh and others could engrave with the best of them.  Learn to do the best, no one aspires to be mediocre. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 12:30:01 AM »
Depending on what your looking for.   Master French Gunsmiths Designs.  Of the XVII-XIX Centuries.     I've also got inspiration for engraving and carving from The Gentleman & Cabinet-Makers Director. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline jlutz

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2022, 04:43:14 AM »

Out of curiosity, who's class are you taking? Is this a traditional sort of class with hammer and graver or are you using a pneumatic tool?
[/quote]

I’ve been taking a basic engraving class with Ray Cover. It’s all modern equipment (microscope, pneumatic engraver, etc.). I did take a weekend hammer and chisel class once upon a time with Mike Lea at the Log Cabin Shop.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 02:56:42 AM »
“Learn to do the best, no one aspires to be mediocre.”  Well said, Ron!    Best,

Ed 
Ed Wenger

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 04:33:34 AM »
Curtis is right! Nothing is a substitute for a good hands on engraving class with a good instructor. Those are hard to come by these days! Before you consider taking a class, contact the instructor and ask some in depth questions. Questions such as does the instructor work with each student to insure all can properly sharpen? Another question would be does the instructor follow a syllabus and provide patterns to practice with? I have been to several classes that were a waste of money and time. Instructor demonstrated a couple of things and “turn” everyone loose to do their own thing. The ones that had problems just flailed! So my advice is know what you are getting into with past references before you commit!
elkhorne

Offline jlutz

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 06:36:16 AM »
Curtis is right! Nothing is a substitute for a good hands on engraving class with a good instructor. Those are hard to come by these days! Before you consider taking a class, contact the instructor and ask some in depth questions. Questions such as does the instructor work with each student to insure all can properly sharpen? Another question would be does the instructor follow a syllabus and provide patterns to practice with? I have been to several classes that were a waste of money and time. Instructor demonstrated a couple of things and “turn” everyone loose to do their own thing. The ones that had problems just flailed! So my advice is know what you are getting into with past references before you commit!
elkhorne

I just finished a week long class with Ray Cover in Missouri (http://www.learningtoengrave.com) and it was EXCELLENT. Ray has been a background as an art teacher and it shows. He had very well developed lesson plans with a good balance of demo/explanation and student practice. Basics like graver sharpening, positioning under the microscope and design transfer were all well covered. I’d recommend it to anyone interested in modern  engraving!