Author Topic: Virginia hunting success  (Read 5143 times)

excess650

Virginia hunting success
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:03:22 AM »
Virginia's muzzleloader season opened November 5.  I had seen some trophy bucks around the property over the past several years, but they seem to elude me when I had my rifle in hand.  After a few uneventful days carrying the "anything goes" MLer in the morning and flinter in the afternoon, I decided to just carry the flinter.  My stand is situated on a bench facing E-SE in a laurel thicket (ivy to the locals) so that my view is optimum for a RH shooter.  As I was looking left on Wednesday morning, and buck decided to come in from my blind side.  Unlike the other cruising bucks (pre-rut) that I had already let walk, this one had his head up.  He was too tempting to pass with a flinter, so when he quartered towards me I put the silver blade a bit high on the right shoulder.  At the shot he ran into the more than head high laurel and reappeared about 40 yards off.  I could only see his head and neck as he looked around, and then disappeared to his right.  It was a good hold, no flinch, and I was afraid that a branch or sapling deflected the .58 cal patched round ball.  After reloading, I took extra time to survey where I thought he was at the shot and where I saw him last.  Things look considerably different on the ground in the middle of the laurel as compared to being perched above it!  I found no blood, didn't see hair on the leaves, and couldn't see any limbs that might have been hit.  As I headed in the same direction as the buck ran through the laurel, it gradually opened up.  When I got to where I thought I had seen him looking around, I saw that he only made it a few more steps.

The ball had hit high on the right shoulder and angled down through the lungs and exited midway up the ribs on the off side.  There was no blood on the hide and the only blood seen had come out the nose and mouth, and seemingly only where he lay.  I soon found that this was likely the heaviest mountain deer that I had ever taken.  It took me the remainder of the day to get him out, skinned, and butchered as afternoon temperatures were in the 60s.

On Thursday I took the flinter again, but it started to rain by 8:30, so I made my way back to the house.  There were some errands to run and by the time I returned  shortly after noon, the skies had cleared.  I had seen several flocks of turkeys on my way to and from town, but hadn't seen any on my property recently.  While out  sneaking through the oaks I caught sight of movement.  As I waited about a dozen birds appeared and 2 of them seemed to have longish beards.  I aimed a bit high on one of the larger birds and took the shot.  It was about 75 yards, offhand, and the bird just flopped over.

The impact was high and broke a wing and took out the spine.  I didn't have a scale but guessed it weighed close to 20# and had a 10-1/2" beard.

Certainly I was blessed to have such success.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:05:36 AM by excess650 »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Virginia hunting success
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:47:53 AM »
Congratulations to you.Very nice buck an flintlock. But with a name like wattlebuster you KNOW I gotta like the longbeard best ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

excess650

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:51:59 AM »
I suspect that you could appreciate the group of longbeards that appeared out of the laurel 2 years ago.  There were 5 or 6 of them and I swear they were all walking on their beards!  I just watched them feed and wander off while I waited for a big buck....that never appeared.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:57 AM »
Congratulations on an impressive buck.  Great shot on that turkey, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

lakehopper

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »
Congrats, nice looking buck and tom ;)

Huntindawg58

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
Great deer and turkey. Love to hear those Va success stories.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
Way to go, looks like the perfect day!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
Wow, you're having a great one.   Got up this morning, 7:30, in the kitchen pouring a cup of coffee and looked out into the field behind my house, 8 turkey feeding.     I've shot my share of turkeys in my lifetime, it was nice to be able to watch
them, but I have no desire to kill one.   I've hunted and killed a lot of game for over 60 years, but I have reached a point
in my life where I have no desire to kill anything.  Never thought I would feel this way, must be age.......Don

excess650

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »
Wow, you're having a great one.   Got up this morning, 7:30, in the kitchen pouring a cup of coffee and looked out into the field behind my house, 8 turkey feeding.     I've shot my share of turkeys in my lifetime, it was nice to be able to watch
them, but I have no desire to kill one.   I've hunted and killed a lot of game for over 60 years, but I have reached a point
in my life where I have no desire to kill anything.  Never thought I would feel this way, must be age.......Don

I'm sure its age and experience.  As much as I like to be out in the woods, I don't often pull the trigger.  I don't eat squirrels or bear, so won't hunt them.  This turkey was a target of opportunity, and had I not been carrying the flinter, I wouldn't have taken the shot.  Both of these were flintlock firsts for me.  I've taken a lot of bucks, but don't need to and am far more particular than when I was younger.

BTW, its a Getz barrel.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »
Don. I hear what you say. I have a marvelous excuse for hunting, however. My wife will only eat wild game, or meat we raise ourselves. I'm not a trophy hunter. If I pull a trigger, it's 'cause what I shoot is heading to the kitchen.  ;D  Can't think of a better reason to hunt.

Harnic

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »

There seems to be a lot of us "older guys" giving up hunting Don, my wife convinced me to try a Vegan diet 16 years ago & it stuck.  Put an abrupt end to a lifetime of hunting.  I miss the sneaking around in the bush, but not the killing.  Amazingly enough, I see way more game now that I'm not fixated on blasting them! 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
Funny thing I'm in the same boat, I have 4 Turkeys and 2 hams living in the freezer from this months shoots all wrapped neatly.  I have given up since my hunting buddies' beagle died and our hunting clubs been sold.  I do not intend to start over.  Odd part is that the few hunting programs I watch when they come to the kill shot I click to another channel (channels).  I admire the 80+ yrs old that still do hunt. 

David G

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »
Blessed indeed excess! Two nice animals harvested with a flinter is as good as it gets. ;)

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »
Excellent composition on the photo's, your very fortunate to have that kind of hunting available to you in your back yard.

Interesting comments from some of the elders, I have hunted upland bird many years, killed deer and raised rabbits for a couple years, thinned stray cat and dog populations around the house, not alot of interest left in killing any more animals.

Actually hoping that the new trade gun will spark a renewed interest in the upland hunting, should be ready next year.

I'm only in my 40's
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:02:06 PM by Clyde »
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it