Author Topic: Colored in incise carving  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Colored in incise carving
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:49:22 AM »
On today's page on the blog, while ogling the antique Lehigh, it appears that the incise behind the cheek is colored, or tinted. A very interesting feature to be sure.  Has anyone else seen this type of finishing.  Seems rather Folk Artsy.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Colored in incise carving
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:10:25 AM »
Do you mean the Angstadt rifle?  I'm pretty certain that's Joseph Angstadt.  I put a bunch of pictures of that one up on my site a few years back - good luck finding them now - and there is ink staining in the carving.  Mostly black, but some of it looked like it may have been something like a burgundy(?) at one point.  Very, very cool rifle.  Funk-ay.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Colored in incise carving
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:29:22 AM »
Years ago I had a rifle by one of the Angstadt's with incise carving. It was also colored in. I am color blind  so I didn't notice it at first. Some of the ink ? bled over in the surrounding wood a little bit. That's when I figured it out. I like some of the unusual small touches that a gunsmith adds here and there. It's a nice expression of there art.  JIM
JIM