Author Topic: D. Borman ?  (Read 2551 times)

LBOYLE

D. Borman ?
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
Does anyone out there have any information about a maker who signed his work "D. Borman?" The name is neatly stamped in an inlayed silver plate on the top barrel flat. Sorry I don't have any pictures yet of the rifle.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: D. Borman ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »
He's not in my gunmakers books.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:33 AM »
I did not find D. Borman listed either. I wonder if perhaps this was the owner's name as opposed to the builder. It's not very often you find a builder inscribing an inlay with his name instead of the top barrel flat.
Mark
Mark

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:59:07 AM »
Absent any other markings, I would say it's the makers name. I have seen quite a few done that way. However, I find it unusual for the named to be stamped, rather than engraved, on a silver plate.

LBOYLE

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
Thank you all very much for your input.

I couldn't find the name in any of my reference books either. Absent the name on the flat I would have tentatively identified the piece as a Bodenheimer from Ohio but I thought perhaps there might be a 'D. Borman' out there on someone's list from some other area.

Anyway I will try to get some pictures posted as soon as possible.