Author Topic: Help with longrifle ID?  (Read 4028 times)

Smythley

Help with longrifle ID?
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »
I was just given a longrifle as a present and would like to learn more about it.
It's a flint lock, with a tiger maple stock.  It has what appears to be c.T stamped on the top of the barrel.  Its 58.5" total length.  Octagonal barrel.  Brass patch box.  Raised cheekpiece.  Will post some photos shortly.

Thanks for any help or information you can give me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:33:23 PM by Smythley »

Smythley

Re: Help with longrifle ID?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »

Smythley

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »

Smythley

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
Looks like an interesting rifle.  The guard and buttplate look to be iron to me (?).

The hardware and architecture would seem to place it somewhere in the southern Appalachians or adjacent areas.  The triangular greasae hole surrounded by a brass inlay is unusual.  Never seen one exactly like that before. The guard has an early profile, as far as rifles from this region go.  Single triggers are very unusual for this region, and I am guessing that the original triggers were replaced.  Perhaps this rifle may have been a very old restock of older parts.  But the architecture is nice, so perhaps not. 

Hard to say on where it might have been made - really a rifle like this could have been made anywhere from southwest Virginia down the mountains all the way to Alabama or adjacent areas - North Carolina, Kentucky, even Ohio.  However, the guard shape and architecture looks to me like something  you might expect out of western piedmont North Carolina, although the guard is much heavier in feel than most iron guards from that region.  If I had to throw out a guess I would say western NC, but I am sure others may have some alternative ideas. 

Hopefully someone else has seen that odd triangular grease hole before......

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »
Super rifle and great gift.  Is that writing on the tip of the wooden forestock near the muzzle or am
I seeing things?  Looks like S H 2 or something to that affect.  I don't know about the restock, but
the parts look early to me.  Very nice.  The ramrod thimbles look round to me.  Nice interesting
features.  I'd start looking in the south for a maker.  There was a C. Tiple, unlocated late flintlock
rifle maker.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:48:24 PM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Smythley

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm not sure about the lettering near the end of the barrel.  Will check when.I get home.

The rifle was purchased in western NC.  Not that that means a thing, but...

Reading about these rifles is incredibly interesting.  It fascinates me to think about where this rifle has been.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
It would be interesting to see the cheekside and sideplate on this rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Smythley

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
Suzkat,
I will post one when I get home.  Its got a raised cheekpiece, similar to what I'd call a Monte Carlo buttstock on a modern firearm.

Smythley

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:48:39 AM »