Author Topic: to everyone  (Read 4574 times)

lakehopper

to everyone
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
First and foremost may everyone enjoy family and friends on Thanksgiving Day.

To the PA Hunters have a safe two weeks persuing the white tail deer, when teaching my Hunter Ed Classes, I emphasize to MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET and what is in front and behind that target before pulling the trigger.
Once the bullet or ball leaves the muzzle you can not take that shot back. Be responsible, have fun and good luck. ;)

LETS SEE SOME PICTURES OF YOUR HARVEST ;D

greybeard

Re: to everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »
Yes;  That round ball it your responsibility frim the time you pick it up untill it comes to rest.
Cheers    Bob

excess650

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
07:34 Monday morning, Huntingdon County

8 points with broken G2 on right side.  This was not taken in farm country!  I've hunted there for more than 40 years and never seen anything like it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:37:32 PM by excess650 »

roundball

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »
That old boy has some horns...congratulations.  What were you using, etc?

excess650

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:52:44 PM »
Its regular firearms season here in Pa for 2 weeks( beginning Monday after Thanksgiving).  I DID look for a spot to hang an additional stand so as to have a good place  to use the flinter, but decided to go with the modern rifle from my existing stand since the forecast was for rain.  I had seen a tall horned buck there last season(largest that I had ever seen), but didn't get a shot off due to a gummed up trigger in cold weather, so that was an additional factor. 

Now that my deer tag is filled (I've never hunted doe) I'll have to check the regulations and see if I can carry my flinter for coyotes.  Its supposed to be clear weather this weekend.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »
I hope you will measure that bad boy; He's right up there in the trophy (150pts) category at the very least.  Getting close to B&C territory.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

excess650

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:08 AM »
I had taken some rough measurements.  The main beams are 24-1/2" inside spread 23", brow tines 9-1/2" and 10-1/2".  It appears 145+ gross with the broken G2 otherwise, it would have gone 150+.  Thats pretty good for an 8 pointer.  A 10 pointer gets you 2 more points for length and 2 more circumferences to add.

lakehopper

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:24:04 AM »
excess650, do you also have to measure again when the antlers are dried?? Nice buck, did you harvest him in Raystown Lake area?

excess650

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:04:14 AM »
excess650, do you also have to measure again when the antlers are dried?? Nice buck, did you harvest him in Raystown Lake area?

Technically they are to be measured for score after a drying period, but that is of no concern to me.

Actually, about 10 miles northeast of Huntingdon.

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 04:14:33 AM »
A 10 pointer gets you 2 more points for length and 2 more circumferences to add.

Actually, you get 4 "H", IE circumfrence measurements on a 4 pt side. You add the h3 measurement twice. Good buck!

After re reading this, I quoted how it's done on a 3 pt. On a 4 pt, the H4 measurement is half way between the end of beam and last point.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:10:18 PM by Shovelbuck »
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »

Actually, about 10 miles northeast of Huntingdon.

Huntingdon (Hunting done)   heeheehee what a great place to take a huge deer!!!