Author Topic: Another new interesting gun for your enjoyment and impressions  (Read 4035 times)

McLeanWelsh

Another new interesting gun for your enjoyment and impressions
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »
So I picked this gun up in a trade and I haven't had a lot of time to go over it as we are at a big family deal but I managed to do a quick going over and snap some pictures in my hotel room :D

The lock is marked "A E or T RUSSEL " There is also what looks like a pin that is out of place in the lock and obscures one of the letters.

It has a very very heavy barrel for such a small caliber. It looks to be around .32 or .26 The underside of the barrel at the rear is marked "REMINGTON"

There is also a large brass plate on the bottom which is unusual. The front sight is missing and there is some strange holes in the front and rear of the barrel.

The rear ram rod tube has been welded on at some point.

The gentleman I got this from said he bought it some years ago in san antonio, Texas. He was told it was around 1840.

Looking for any info on this gun and the maker.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Another new interesting gun for your enjoyment and impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
McLean,
Neat rifle, like a few that I have. First observation is that it is probably more in the 1860-1870 range, given the back action lock and Remington barrel.. Secondly I'm guessing that it was used for log, or chunk, shooting given the weight of the barrel and the pin holes near the muzzle were for supporting the front of a shader for the sights. The holes behind the rear sight most likley held a target sight of some type. The "wear or booboo" plate on the underside of the forestock could be a repair due to ramrod hole run out or just a wear plate to impede damage. In many cases you will find these on half stock "mountain" rifles that were worn through by carrying the rifle over the pommel of a saddle.  I'm more inclined to say run out. I have a couple of rifles with this type of repair, it was pretty common.
There is an A.T. Russell rifle listed in Frank Seller's book "American Gunsmiths" but he is listed as unlocated. This is just my speculation but I hope it helps you a little.
Mark
Mark

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the info! Any idea on value for this gun in its current state ?

Mclean

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
McLean,
That's a difficult question to answer. You have several considerations that will affect value. The first is not being able to identify the builder's location, next comes the overal condition, regarding the stock and the bore, with the stock being of more importance. In this case the stock appears to be in good condition with the exception of the forestock which is cracked although the wood appears to be there and could be repaired. It does have nice hardware. As strictly a "questimate" I would say that, around here it would bring between $500-$800. Perhaps more, perhaps less, that is just a questimate, from what I can see. Do not take my word for the gosple.
Mark
Mark

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
Barrels marked just plain REMINGTON have been found on one Canadian rifle otherwise dated 1840-1850, and on a Michigan by H.F. Palmer, active approximately 1862-1878.
Barrels marked:    REMINGTON
                           CAST STEEL

are somewhat later than those just marked REMINGTON.
The patchbox is a style available through some hardware outlet, and used on many 19th century rifles.

By any chance did you note whether the toe plate might be riveted to the buttplate? Also I cannot tell from your photos, is the trigger steel, or brass?

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:45:21 AM »
sorry for the delay been a crazy time here since a got back. Ill have a look tonight about the buttplate and trigger.

Cheers, McLean

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »
I recently looked at a full stock rifle that had provenance to a early prominent New York Finger Lakes resident.  I was told it was by a Russel and was a New York piece.  Maybe someone with the New York book set could check for the name.
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum