Author Topic: matchlock wall gun  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
matchlock wall gun
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
THis is the seconds gun brought to me Friday.  It is over 8 ft long; hard to get an over all photo of.  The barrel looks original.  I can't decide if the wood is a restock.  The metal repair is the same on both sides.

The numbers in the last pic are on the side of the barrel forward of the pan.  The carving is center top of the breech.  I've not seen a similar carving.  Any ideas what this monster is?  Were ther market hunters in the 16-17th centuries?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: matchlock wall gun
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:41:21 AM »
Hi Pletch,
I am guessing that it is from India or somewhere in south-central Asia.  It has a typical matchlock mechanism from that part of the world. 

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline nord

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »
Numerals and characters are modern in my opinion. Very unlike period pieces. I'd guess India, Pakistan, or somewhere in that region. Very likely a fairly modern copy of an ancient firearm.

My opinion of course.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

altankhan

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »
I have a very similar one -- from what I understand many of these guns were turned in to the British after the Sepoy Rebellion in India 1857. I recall there was a horde of a couple thousand stored in Australia (as well as many in other places).  The modern looking marks have something to do with cataloging them for storage/export or whatever.  The barrel may be a older than the stock, but the stock is probably 19th century.  That might give you a bit more to on in an online search... much more into out there

altankhan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:06:50 AM »
Also, the metal plates on the side are not necessarily repairs -- mien has them also as many others I have seen -- they seem to just be part of the gun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »
It's legit, no restock. Indian and old, that is to say 19th century, no repop.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
Good Morning,
Thank you all for your thoughts on this piece. I have relayed the information to teh owner.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.