Author Topic: shooting squirrels with marbles  (Read 7497 times)

FRJ

shooting squirrels with marbles
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »
Dont know why but a thought from my youth came back to me yesterday. I had come into possession of an old rifle that was lacking a lock. I was about 6 or 7 and wasnt about to let a good thing go to waste. It had a preety big bore and a cherry bomb would fit down it, also a large marble. The drill was to find a squirrel and get lined up on him. Then my buddy Russ would light and drop a cherry bomb down the barrel followed by the marble while I held steady on  the squirrel. Probably hit half of the critters I shot at and ate them. Probably go to jail for doing the same thing today. Life was sure  good back then and then was over 60 years ago. Frank

Daryl

Re: shooting squirrels with marbles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
HA! - the game warden's son used to shoot marbles in some 16 bore cap-locks he found in a barn, back in Dorchester Ontario, in the 50's and early 60's.   Jim was quite proud of his toothpick and glue held-together shotguns. When I think back, they are probably all originally flinters, as shady as my memory is, they all looked similar to Tayor's original 18 bore - which he re-converted to flint & shot for a while - but not with marbles. ;D

ottawa

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
you just found the solution for shooting nonlead round balls

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:16:38 AM »
This sounds like a really great idea, especially when expansion is not wanted.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
It's just after 0500 this morning, and I've already learned something...!!!!
Thanks guys. I've never seen such a great collection of information of the topic of shooting glass marbles. No question...they'll shoot well enough for small game.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

FRJ

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
I've got a 58 cal going together right now and I might want to shoot marbles out of it. Where  can a guy buy some? Frank

RichardW

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »
If, in a pinch, a squirrel or rabbit was killed with a glass marble, would the marble shatter?

I'd hate to think about eating glass.

BrownBear

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
Only one way to find out, but I never managed to break a marble shooting game with a wrist rocket- one of the super stout ones with heavy rubbers.  I probably couldn't even shoot the thing today, but back then it launched a marble so fast you couldn't see it unless the light was just right.  ML vels would be even higher I bet, but I still doubt they'd break on flesh and bone.

RichardW

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »
Wrist Rocket! - Now there's a blast from the past.

One of the local kids had one and on occasion we shot marbles. I don't recall finding any afterwards though. Marbles are tough little buggers.

And of course the ever present You'll shoot your eye out!

How did we ever survive...

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
I know a fellow, won't mention his name, that made a pipe cannon when he was a kid and shot bolger marbles out of it with cherry bombs. one day it shot clear through a piece of 2" wood at about 20 yards, hit the side of a brick house and completely turned to glass dust. Just lucky it didn't miss the house and go down through the neighborhood. Usually it was shot at a tree in the yard and just imbedded itself.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 04:27:48 AM »
I don't see a problem using them on bunnies or other small fodder. Their spherical shape makes them quite strong in tinking of impacts on bone or tissue.  As to super high velocity, I can't comment.

in the .69, when shooting snowshoes hares with WW balls I used a mere 30gr. 3F. My buddy then using a .735" WW ball in his .75, used a mere .40 gr. 3F. These loads worked well to 50 yards, and the sound of their bones breaking was later that the funny sound of the gun - kinda like peeoughhh/crunch,crackle/crunch - only faster - HA!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:57:28 PM by Daryl »

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »
I seemed to have lost mine! At least that's what my wife says.  ;D  I guess that's what happens after a deployment.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
My Dad was born in 1903 and when he was a young man he shot steel ball bearings out of a 12 bore. He told me about it in the 1950s when I was just getting into muzzleloading and his memory was that he got great penetration. He claimed he once shot through a locust fence post!
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
Gary, that is no small feat as I have a hard time getting a fence staple driven in them once they are cured.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 02:06:04 AM »
Gary, that is no small feat as I have a hard time getting a fence staple driven in them once they are cured.
That's why I said it was what he claimed/remembered. I think it would take an armor piercing round to get through some yellow locust posts! :)
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com