Author Topic: 1830s Gilbert pill lock rifle, Rochester  (Read 5452 times)

chizwiz

1830s Gilbert pill lock rifle, Rochester
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »
I own an 1834 +/- Gilbert pill lock rifle made in Rochester (NY?), which has been converted to percussion cap. Is there  anyone who can convert it back for a reasonable fee? I have photos of what I have and what it should look like, but do not know how to send them in this message. jc3435 at charter.net

Offline Feltwad

Re: 1830s Gilbert pill lock rifle, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »
I must ask why reconvert it back to pill lock has the gun stands it is part of its history ,to recovert it back may involve new parts and then its lost its history . It is your gun but I would leave it be .
Feltwad

firelock-inc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
I am a last use kind of guy. leave it as it is.
Have the gun builder make a new one in percussion
and now you have something to put holes in paper or
take for a walk in the woods.

Rickp

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 12:55:15 AM »
Pill lock guns are very rare and almost never encountered. In 60 years of collecting, I have seen two or three at the most. They were made within a very small period of time and were not too popular as it was.
You are not asking for this type of advice, but for the good of the arm and history, it should be left as is. It is worth much more in its present state than it ever will as a recoversion to something else; (it may never have been that anyway).
If it bothers you, see if you can sell it, or find a trade with someone for a piece that will be more to your liking. In my opinion, you are fortunate to have a rare gun that many other collectors would be pleased to own. Thanks for bringing it to our attention and if you would, please post some photos of your gun.
Dick

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
There are probably several guys on here that can switch it back to Pill lock.

The parts would have to be hand made to fit and aged to match the rest of the gun, but pictures of original pill locks would make that a straight forward deal.

As for destroying the history of the gun,,, what history? ,,,, As is, it's just another percussion conversion. Any value the gun lost was lost when it was converted from pill lock to percussion.
The gun won't be worth any less with a good reconversion back to pill lock, and will probably be worth a bit more.

If no one answers you, email me and I'll send you a couple names.

Some pictures of the gun would be great! Did you buy this rifle at auction, for not a lot of money? If so, it'll probably cost you as  much as you paid for the gun for the reconversion.

John
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:15:09 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »

As for destroying the history of the gun,,, what history? ,,,, As is, it's just another percussion conversion. Any value the gun lost was lost when it was converted from pill lock to percussion.
The gun won't be worth any less with a good reconversion back to pill lock, and will probably be worth a bit more
                                      ---------------------------------------------------

Most likely this gun was converted  in the late 1830s so the gun has more history has a percussion than a pill lock.
My restoration covers many decades and I have witnessed many conversions of all types of ignition and most are for financial gain,and adding new parts only makes things worse .These restorers are not preservers of the gun history who have  only one thing and that is making a fast buck, they will say that they are true muzzle loaders enthusiasts but it is money over heritage.These guns are our heritage we must account for them in their original form for those that come after us.
Feltwad
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:43:39 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:44:39 AM »
This is an interesting look at reconversion issues. I would like to know how to tell if a rifle originally was a pill lock?
Joel Hall

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:22:05 AM »
Joel,
From the little I find googling Gilbert, it seems all he made was pill lock guns.

Feltwad. I'm not arguing with your views on reconversion. You don't agree with it, just like I don't agree with the way you strip off the original wood and metal finish (patina), and replace it with a new finish. I guess we're even in our dislikes. ;)

John

John Robbins

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 01:28:11 AM »
WOW!!!!!!

Offline Buck

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 02:11:57 AM »
Chizwiz,
I will give you my opinion, Its your rifle, do what the $#*! you want to do with it. This argument has been ongoing for a long time around here. I own both types of rifles clean and dirty, that doesn't mean anything to me. If the rifle talks to you and you like it, that is all that matters. If you want to return it back to its original condition that is your prerogative. The dirt, patina, dried linseed oil, or mud from the $#@* hole the rifle sat in for a hundred years is not the definitive factor or historical value of these rifles. The importance of these rifles is the role they played in the obtainment of our freedom, the level of craftsmanship that was achieved by candlelight in a shop in the dead of winter with no heat and primitive tools. The risk that these men took to produce these rifles. How they helped to tame the Western frontier. That is the significance of these rifles. Americana! Not how much patina and fly $#@* has compiled on top of it over the years. Enjoy your rifle.
Buck         

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 02:24:31 AM »
Despite the differences of opinion, I honestly hope this thread doesn't turn into another reconversion hashing/bashing thread.
The original poster asked a simple question, his first post, and doesn't deserve an argument that will get his topic closed and locked.
John
John Robbins

Offline Buck

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 04:34:04 AM »
JTR,
Agreed.
Buck

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
I am afraid there is a big difference between restoration and butchering.Has for stripping of  the original wood and metal finish {patina} let me assure the only thing  that is removed is the dirt and grime  exposing the patina.
Feltwad