Author Topic: Jacob George inlay?  (Read 5409 times)

Offline vtbuck223

Jacob George inlay?
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
I originally posted this rifle on May 26 and thanks to contributors of this site and follow up research am convinced that it is an original Jacob George. As suggested in the post I have done nothing to alter the rifle in anyway but fashioned a lock and sideplate so that I can simply enjoy it hanging on my wall. My question is concerning the missing thumb piece inlay. Was it originally brass or silver? In the pictures that I have seen of George rifles they usually don't show a shot of this angle and it is difficult for me to determine. I know that many on this forum have handled and seen these pieces in person and can answer my question. I appreciate your help.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Jacob George inlay?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
VT,
That thumbpiece inlay would be silver.
I don't believe I've ever seen one in brass.
John
John Robbins

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Yep, John's right, it would have been coin silver.

FK

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »
What metal is the cheek rest inlay made of? I have seen Angstat rifles with brass wrist inlays. In fact I have one by Peter. If gun were mine and I wanted to replace it, I would make it to match the metal used on the cheekrest piece. Since it is missing, it becomes your preference.
Dick 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
I doubt anyone would have bothered to pick out an inlay of brass...silver being more valuable and worth pawning.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:45:47 AM »
I doubt anyone would have bothered to pick out an inlay of brass...silver being more valuable and worth pawning.

That's true Taylor, and probably why the original is missing!

John
John Robbins

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
Thanks guys...silver makes sense.

mkeen

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »
A brass inlay might have been removed if it was engraved with the initials of the original owner.
A later owner with different initials might not have wanted the wrong initials on his rifle.

Mart Keen

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
Could be brass.

The cheek piece inlay(Crescent Moon)  is brass on this one as well, I think it was fairly common in that area.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:14:22 AM by smshea »

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
Thanks for the response....others have also suggested to me that it may have been brass. I'm not in any hurry to put something in there at this point....I may leave it alone altogether.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
That's the best picture i have of the wrist inlay on that particular rifle and it is a signed J. George. This is either a George or Stophle Long(They worked very close by to one another)that was posted here some time ago.

I have many pictures of the various Angstats with Brass Wrist inlays as well as some D. Boyers that I can not post. Silver was the norm in most places but I would say in this particular area brass may have been more popular....not that you don't ever see silver.