Author Topic: newbe questions  (Read 5456 times)

FPblacksmith

newbe questions
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:54:33 AM »
   Hello All

I am new to rifle building ,unless you want to count  a Thompson Center Hawkins kit and a few CVA pistol kits back when I was still in High School.
   What I do  have going for me is I have  been blacksmithing for about 40 yrs now.
   My goal is to build a longrifle and make all the parts (less Barrel) from scratch .
   I am thinking that I should try to build my first from a lock kit then possibly make the furniture from wrought iron.
   Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about getting started? What barrel? What lock kit? Stock?

Thanks
   Mark

mykeal

Re: newbe questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:12:04 AM »
Let another 'newbie' try; I've only done kits and am in pretty much the same position, so maybe my perspective will help a little.

What I did, and am still doing, is purchase a copy of Recreating the American Long Rifle by Buchele,  Shumway & Alexander (I think the Log Cabin Shop stocks it) and other books in the Muzzloading Gun Maker Series.

Picking the lock, stock, barrel and furniture very much depends on what rifle you want to build. There are literally thousands of different options - periods, makers, designs - to choose from. These books will guide you through making those choices and prevent major mistakes at the beginning.

How about guys - do I have the right idea?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:56 AM »
Hi Mark.  Welcome to the forum.   I think the forst step is to decide what style rifle you want to build.  Forged hardware sounds like a Southern rifle to me but you did not specify.  Also what are you planning to do with the finished rifle?  That will determine caliber.  Target shooting?  Small game?  Deer?
Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:39:58 AM »
The others have addressed issues of style rifle and application.  The most common lock kit that has been something of an industry standard is the Siler lock kits available from Jim Chambers.  And there are lots of experienced guys around that have cut their eye teeth on those locks so they can help you out if you run into problems. 

You said you wanted to build it from scratch initially and then you asked about stocks.  If  you want to build from a plank the choices are wood types.  If you are asking about pre shaped stocks that is another issue.  For your first build you might want to build from a kit, again like Chambers sells.  That way  you will have models for your forgings and can use the siler lock too.  There are also kits available from several other sources like Track of the Wolf, Tip Curtis, Muzzleloading Builders Supply and many more.  You get what you pay for in my experience.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:46:05 AM »
Speaking from learning to build from the plank only: it's a long road if you don't have help nearby.

Where do the screws go? how do you locate the underlugs, the thimbles, what shape is the buttstock, how does thw lock area transition into the forestock?

Get some good books, study the books, study as many original rifles as you can. It's a blessing if you have someone nearby who can enlighten you when are stumped.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:51:25 AM »
Welcome Mark... sounds like fun!  I agree with the comments so far.  Mykeal hit the nail on the head with his suggestions.  Especially the book, Recreating the American Long Rifle... it will be very helpful to you.

Acer is right, it's nice to have help nearby....  but, hey you do!  ALR.com  When you get stumped, search the archives to see if your question has been asked previously. If not, or the answer isn't quite clear....  ask away.

Good luck!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:26:06 AM »
Mark,
What part of the country are you in? 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

FPblacksmith

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:13:03 AM »
   Let see if I can remember all the questions.
   I have "the gunsmith of glendville co. and The track of the wolf cat. so far. My wife bought it for me at Colonial Williamsberg. We taught a class and did a demo in Virginia in August and part of our pay was tickets to CW.That is what got me started. I have been working on cartrage guns as long as I can remember, high power rifle mostly.
   I have seen so many different styles that it is very hard to pick one,I like them all.
   My wife is into blacksmithing also(my fault ). Anyway she does chasing and re posse in steel using a treadle hammer and tools that I make for her. I was hoping to have her do something for a patchbox cover.Also she is the artist in the family and was doing woodcarving before I put iron in her blood so I am sure she will be great on the carving. You can see her work at www.floodplainforge.com
    I think I will only use this for hunting paper or other target work. Maybe one of the white tails that have breakfast with me out my kitchen window.  I was thinking 45 cal.
As for the stock I would like to start from a blank or at the most have the barrel inleted and the rr hole done. I have inleted and bedded bolt actions before but I am not sure about drilling a hole that far into wood and having so little room to mess up.
   I am in Central Illinois and there are some ML clubs so I am sure I can find some help if (when ) I need it.
Thanks for the help so far.More to come for sure
Mark

FPblacksmith

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »
I forgot to mention that I have an in with a few local museums that have some old flints(i have not seen them in years)I might be able to handle/ photograph to get some more ideas.
Thanks again
Mark

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 01:05:03 PM »
You have a fine book to start with; although  if you are like me, you will continue to acquire books on building. I started about 40 years ago and built a couple rifles from slabs with no mentor  or help. Not the way to start. The results were so disappointing and frustrating that I almost quit  altogether. After several years, I tried a kit (TOW) with precarved stock with  much more pleasing results. Between that rifle and several books  (and now, this site), I have gained some knowledge as well as an 'eye' for stocking a longrifle that pleases the senses  as  well as being more nearly 'correct'.  A kit from Chambers, Dunlap or MBS would be hard to beat as a start in my opinion.
Gene

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 05:27:23 PM »
Hey Mark - I checked out your site.  Yup - if I was you I'd definately be letting the little woman do the carving and engraving for me!   ;D ;D ;D

She does VERY nice work indeed.  Impressive.  Go check out the site guys.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Ezra

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »
I would also suggest Chuck Dixon's book - he walks you thru the process step by step and in good order.    Pete Alexander (Gunsmith of Grenville County) gets into more detail but jumps around quite a bit - both are worth the $