Author Topic: Which side to enter the key or pin!  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Which side to enter the key or pin!
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »
Did a few minutes of 'research' with no luck. 

Since a rifle on display on a wall or table or held for viewing generally has the lock side towards the viewer!  So it would seem that the key heads should enter from the usually viewed side???
Is there a traditional side to enter the keys or pins ???  From lock side or opposite lock side.?  I have been entering pins from the opposite side am I wrong at all?

I do recollect reading somewhere some time that they should enter from the opposite lock side ???

Halp!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Which side to enter the key or pin!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »
Traditionally - the keys on american guns went in from the right. English and european guns went in from the left.  every rule has an exception.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:15 AM »
Unless they’re captive keys, at this point in time they could pull from either side depending on how the owners put them back in.
Most of the time, at least on the guns I have, the wood is pretty banged up on both sides, whether from knocking the key out or back in, is hard to tell. I don’t remember many old one’s where the keys will only fit from one side.
And just to confuse the issue, the Dickert I have has captive keys that pull from the left, and a Henry Spitzer with captive keys that pull from the right.
So I’d say put them whichever way you like them.
John
John Robbins

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:04 AM »
Now for a scientific conclusion after looking at the rifles and pistols shown on the KRA CD, that have flat keys. Remember it only shows the full length of the lock side.
About 25% have key heads showing on the right (lock side).
About 75% show only a headless key end.
But probably at least 50% of old guns with keys don’t have a head on either end, just a flat key.
So deduct 50% from the 75% showing only headless key ends give you 25% with headed keys entering from the right, and 25% entering from the left.

This scientific conclusion is only valid for about the next 30 seconds. Other opinions may vary. The author does not accept responsibility for mis-counts. No guarantee or warrantee, either written or implied, is issued with the above conclusion.  ;D
John
John Robbins

caliber45

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:26 AM »
Can you say A-N-A-L?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:41:06 AM »
A few additional observations here on the subject. Some guns having keys with heads entering on the left side, have no silver shield, while on the right opposing side there are inlaid silver shields, (an early S. Baum, notably); another, (same maker) put the keys in from the left side and had a silver shield on the left side as well as on the right side. Why? Who knows? Many seen to have simple flat keys with no head. Most I have seen fall into the latter category since key heads required much more work. In any event, those with heads mostly seem to enter from the left side.
Some makers who used pins, tapered them and you have to remove them from the bigger ended side. If you don't you risk hollowing out the hole as you punch the pin through from the wrong side.
You need to look at a number of originals to see the numerous variations. When in doubt, use barrel bands, and don't forget the sling swivels.
Hope any of this makes sense. It is at least as understandable as JTR's convoluted descriptions, without the statistical analysis.
Reekie

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:44:36 AM »
Use 4  keys and have 2 enter right and 2 enter left, just to make your shooting buddies ask questions. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:05:26 AM by maplebutcher »
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
Can you say A-N-A-L?
Well H     yes I can!  I've been called worse in my time ::)

So, seems like I wasn't as ferhuddled as I thought I was on which side to enter the keys or pins.  I'll just muddle thru as usual and let the next guy worry about it, since I do not pull my barrels to clean ;D

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:27 AM »
rodger.....as long as you wash tee shirts an underwear you don't have to wash your rifles..sonny

caliber45

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:44:50 AM »
Sorry, Roger -- Wasn't aiming that "anal" comment just at you (probably shouldn't have aimed it at all . . .), but at anyone who thinks is makes a rat's patoot which side a wedge key goes into . . . or out of. Its purpose is not to be decorative, but simply to hold the barrel securely in the forend. I'll keep my electronic "mouth" shut next time. - paulallen

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:08:17 AM »
I have a long rifle that on one side of the forend the escutions have a hole  for what you would think would be a pin but the left side has a small brass headed wedge you have to use a round punch to knock out the wedges through the right side of the stock. I was told by some one that it was a common thing seen in western PA and in Ohio. This was my first experince with this arrangement.

If one is trying to get the points of a school of gunmaking right it is these small details that help pull it off  IMHO.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:42:02 PM »
When I researched this recently for my last build I found that traditionally the key entered from the left side, just like the lock bolts, although there were exceptions to the rule. The Dovetails on longrifles are also traditionally fitted from the left side, although modern dovetails are fitted opposite. When did they change and why ? Dunno, but they did. If you are attempting to replicate a certain builder's style or school style do some research. If you are building in a certain style and put the keys in opposite it won't really matter much, but it will be one of those small details that just doesn't look quite right. Generally a certain builder settled on a style and stuck with it.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
Sorry, Roger -- Wasn't aiming that "anal" comment just at you (probably shouldn't have aimed it at all . . .), but at anyone who thinks is makes a rat's patoot which side a wedge key goes into . . . or out of. Its purpose is not to be decorative, but simply to hold the barrel securely in the forend. I'll keep my electronic "mouth" shut next time. - paulallen
$#*!, Paul no sweat! ;D

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »
Can you say A-N-A-L?

Cheeesh!
Can’t you be nice?
Don’t you know the little smiley face thing is there to show the post is suppose to be funny?
If you don’t know what funny means, look it up in the dictionary.
John
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »
If I make my pins and wedges enter from the same side as the lock bolts I don't get so mixed up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »
  Look at all the photos of  original English sporting rifles in the W Keith Neal books and other publications. All the keys enter from the opposite side from the lock[ left to right]  American guns were originally mostly the opposite if they had keys.  so far I have never seen a Jeager with keys. They all had pins.  I have worked on original percussion long rifles that had tappered pins. They went in from the left.  I would say that American guns don't matter because they were both ways.
  I make mostly european guns and the keys are all captive or pinned in like the originals.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »
If I make my pins and wedges enter from the same side as the lock bolts I don't get so mixed up.
So, thats why I've been doing it thataway all these winters long!  Good idea also, in particular as we get a 'little old' ::)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
Hey JTR-funny ' Ha Ha', or  'Funny Peculiar'?